Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: NAPA carb kits.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recently bought an overhaul kit from Daytona for the Carter carb on my '55 Clipper Super. No problems at this time, but wanted to have a kit on hand when the need arises.

The accelerator pump plunger has a blue, non-leather, appearing seal.

The float valve has what Daytona calls a fluorocarbon disc seat in the plunger (or needle). It seals on an inverted flare (or raised seat) in the valve body. The description that accompanied the kit says the disc is made of a synthetic material and is highly resistant to oxygenated fuel.

The description is dated 2003, before the use of ethanol enhanced gasoline.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/30 10:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Daytona's needle/seat is their own design and well-proven with many years of use in thousands of carburetors running ethanol/gasoline mixtures.

For more info on Viton, see:

http://www.dupontelastomers.com/Applications/Automotive/fuel.asp

PS - as to how long gasoline with ethanol has been around, long before the Federal mandate when it replaced MTBE, it was found, especially in the midwest, as "gasohol" back into the late 50s, perhaps earlier.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, I agree, the Daytona says their float valve design is their own and superior to tapered or Viton tipped valves. I was merely pointing out the description of the parts and the date on the sheet. The kit looks to be of high quality. I look forward to overhauling my carburetor with it some day. Also, I should have said that 2003 was before the widespread use of ethanol.

This site is all about seeking and obtaining information and helping others. I think we have done that.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/30 12:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
I can cut my own gaskets if needed. Sure beats dropping in kit gasket that is missing a circuit hole or other malodies.

A word of warning is in order.

When I rebuilt my first 4GC, a mechanic friend noticed the gasket for the fuel bowl to the throttle body that came in the kit was different and offered to cut one that matched what came off the carb. Though the car ran much better, it had a bit of a stumble, but I coulnd't find the problem.

Years later, I learned that there was a change in that gasket - that the kit included the corrected version. Apparently that carb had never been rebuilt or updated, in over 60K of use. I installed the gasket from the kit (carefully reusing the air horn gasket), and the problem was solved.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:

Quote:
I can cut my own gaskets if needed. Sure beats dropping in kit gasket that is missing a circuit hole or other malodies.

A word of warning is in order.

When I rebuilt my first 4GC, a mechanic friend noticed the gasket for the fuel bowl to the throttle body that came in the kit was different and offered to cut one that matched what came off the carb. Though the car ran much better, it had a bit of a stumble, but I coulnd't find the problem.

Years later, I learned that there was a change in that gasket - that the kit included the corrected version. Apparently that carb had never been rebuilt or updated, in over 60K of use. I installed the gasket from the kit (carefully reusing the air horn gasket), and the problem was solved.

Good point, but improperly made gaskets are also found in new kits. When I was researching where to get a rebuild kit for the carb on my dad's boat, I read of several horror stories on a name brand kit that had a gasket that covered a port that was supposed to be open. Motors ran very poorly until the issue was discovered. I guess the best advise is to do research on your carb before rebuilding to see if anyone has come across problems with brand X's kit. When I got my kit for the boat, the gasket had been corrected.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 14:50
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Even if you order a kit based on the actual carburetor number tag, often kits are made to service several different variants so they may have parts not required for one or the other, such as nearly duplicate gaskets. Got to watch carefully what you're doing.

Posted on: 2012/8/30 16:04
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved