Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 131

BigKev, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clips
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Does anyone know if the stainless molding clips for the lower body trim on a '48 Super Eight are the same clips that are used for the upper belt line molding (below the windows)? The only clips I have are the ones that were still attached to the fender skirts. All of the rest of the trim was in a box, with no clips.

I have tried searching the parts literature, and I can't make heads or tails of all of that info.

The reason I am asking is, I can order 34 clips from Mr. G's for 75? each, or get a whole box of 100 for $45. See photo.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.88 KB)
4371_503516e7a4ab7.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/8/22 12:29
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Re: Clips
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There are different sizes based on the height of the stainless trim. You would just need to measure yours.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 12:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The same part number clips were used on both moldings in various areas so will probably be OK. In addition to Kev's suggestion of measuring to be sure, Packard used various clip styles depending on whether the rear side was accessible and whether the chrome was prone to slip.

Most all of the pieces somewhere will have at least one or two clips with a stud and nut to tighten down and prevent the chrome from moving. If you have nothing but spring types, slamming a door or getting a piece caught on something can cause it to move.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 12:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Yes, Howard, I'm aware of the use of a combination of clips and studs. Usually, there will be a nut on the end, or in some cases both ends if they are accessible. You can tell by the size of the holes- the smaller ones are for the studs.

The height of the lower molding and the belt molding are the same, so I was guessing the clips used would be the same for both also. I was just asking to see if anyone had first hand experience with these.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 12:56
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
The parts book should help with identifing type and number required. I sell moulding clips for 3/4 or 1" mouldings. 50 for $25.00 plus $6.00 shipping. PM if interested.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The clips for the belt mouldings on the doors are different.
The part that extends through the hole in the panel is much shorter - less than 1/2" compared to about 7/8" for the other ones.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 13:39
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my '54, the square holes are for the spring clips, and the round holes are for the post/nut clips.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 14:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved