Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"New" feature
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just saw a Subaru commercial where they touted their "new" hill holder device. Their new car with the accessory can stop on a hill and the brakes will stay applied until the clutch is released. Could have sworn Studebaker, Packard and several others had that feature back in the 30's and 40's.

I guess it's only fair they are claiming credit for doing something new since Chrysler and others did the same for the lockup torque converter in the 70's.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 22:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: "New" feature
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Walter
See User information
You are correct about the '30s. I believe Studebaker was the first in the 1936 President.
BTW, My '63 Avanti had the Hill Holder. (NO-Rol)

Posted on: 2012/8/24 0:15
As soon as I figure out exactly what I have I will post it here!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Hudson also used the NO-ROL device, but Studebaker is best remembered for using that great little piece of engineering.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 0:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Norol" as Packard called it was a $12.00 option on the 1941 cars.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I'm always amazed at how much "what goes around, comes around" in the world of automotive design and engineering!

Shifters back in the floor from the column...pushbutton starters...sequential turn signals (on Mustangs)...

And I can't PROVE this, but the current Chrysler 300s have tail lamps that look VERY much like 21st century renditions of '55 lamps, with just a HINT of a vestigial fin on top...

Posted on: 2012/8/24 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Electronic Push-Button Transmissions on some 2013 Lincolns

Posted on: 2012/8/24 13:18
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
moving grille bars.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I'd be happy if they would concentrate on building a better car. The only thing on the road that interests me is the Nissan Sunny and even that is laden with useless gadgets that have nothing to do with getting somewhere. All of these gadgets are like fifties chrome - useless.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Studebaker used the hillholder avaible on standard transmission cars and the anti creep was used with auto trans it was a electrical operated device. Both hillholder (which is mechanical) and anti-creep ( electrical activated )were offered on 57s as it is in the wiring section under accessory wiring.
Fifties chrome and colors White wall tires and V8 were the parts that made them cars of the 50s cars of the 50s

Posted on: 2012/8/24 15:27
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved