Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

TxGoat, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 RHD Speedster Chassis?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
I have come across a 626 chassis that has sometimes been referred to locally as a speedster chassis. What is interesting about this chassis is that the engine mounts are spaced for the big 8 engine and there is no sign of the original holes for the mount for the standard 8 engine. If these holes have been welded, it cannot be seen. I thought that a 626 chassis with engine mounts for big engine must be a speedster chassis. However, one more curious note is that it is drilled for RHD, with no holes on left hand chassis rail for the steering gear. Is it possible that a 626 speedster chassis was made at the factory in RHD? Love to hear your thoughts on this. The chassis number is 238xxx which is in the normal 626 range. Cheers Mal

Posted on: 2012/9/4 22:19
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 RHD Speedster Chassis?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Very interesting. The keeper of the Speedster roster knows of a few Speedsters that were exported, but they were all 1930 models, and all went to LHD countries, such as Argentina and France. He knows of no 1929s that were either exported or fitted with RHD. But, that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

There are less than a handful of the 1929s known to exist... maybe 3. A roadster in Florida that has been rebodied. An authentic phaeton in Florida that has not been seen for quite some time. A roadster in Michigan with a provenance that has always been questioned. The prototype speedster in Ohio that sits on a replacement chassis with replacement engine. And, most recently, a mixed bag of parts in Pennsylvania that has just turned up. So, basically, one fully complete and authentic car.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 8:42
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mal120NZ
See User information
Hey West, thanks for your comments. As 626 speedsters are very rare, I am a little surprised that we have not seen other comments from members of the forum. I am sure there are some of you out there who know a lot more about speedster numbers and production. As these were special order, I guess it is entirely possible that a RHD model was ordered. The local gossip goes that this chassis (car) was once owned by a Circus owner here in NZ and may have come over from Australia years ago. No way to verify this. I had hoped that someone might have access to factory records re RHD speedsters.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 23:26
Mal

Drive 'em and enjoy 'em
[/color]
1936 120B Convertible Coupe RHD
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Most prewar Packard records were trashed when Packard shut down in Detroit. The earliest Speedster information I have ever seen were photo copies (from the Detroit Library) of communication by Collier who reminisced how he and two others bought three 1929 Speedsters from the factory. Collier scrapped the body on his car and built a roadster (car still exists). The whereabouts of the other two cars is unknown. Possibly the car that was just unearthed in Pennsylvania may have pieces of one of the other two.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 7:22
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only information I can add about the 6th series Speedsters is that their body dash or thief-proof numbers are widely scattered thru the overall 6th series numbers and thus almost certainly the production of bodies was not campaigned but built on receipt of an order. No surprise given what must have been a very low expectation of production volume.

There are a couple of folks who have studied the 6th series Speedsters over the years, PM me if you have a serious interest.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 9:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved