Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do I clean an oil bath air filter?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
The subject line says it all. I've had this car for about a year but just got it running recently after getting the fuel tank re-newed.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 11:09
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: How do I clean an oil bath air filter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From the 56 Service Manual.

With the price and all the modern crap added to gas, maybe kerosene instead since there are different type elements (metal, synthetic etc) and who knows what additive might not be compatible today.

I give the air filter a quick slosh, the big stuff stays in the bowl oil and unless you are in a prolonged dust storm, it shouldn't require too much service--just the oil change and clean bowl.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.57 KB)
209_4842d85fe4481.jpg 425X287 px

Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
I saw that blurb in my manual but wasn't sure if it applied to the air filter also since it does specify to "swish the filler cap in gasoline, then dip it in clean engine oil".
Is gas the only acceptable solution to clean it with? And when "dipping the air filter", do you really dip it or does one pour some oil in and let it drain out the excess?

Posted on: 2008/6/1 12:39
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That statement is a bit vague but the elements are about the same--one just has more air flow than other.

The mesh is normally kept moist by the oil in bowl sloshing up and thru wicking and air flow, carried up thru element leaving just enough residue to trap dirt particles.

The heavy stuff (insects etc) can't penetrate and fall to bottom but the dirt particles will move up a bit so the occasional slosh is necessary. I use either solvent or kerosene and just give a quick dip & swirl to lower half, shake excess and then pour a bit of oil in and let it drain while doing something else.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 13:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
Thanks very much. I have noticed that in going thru the manual, there are parts here and there that appear to be vague. But I'm assuming they wrote it with the intent of the reader being a mechanic, so certain things might be assumed.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 13:30
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The filtering mesh material in the oil bath units is fiberous kapok or other vegetable sourced material. The ethanol in modern gasoline will not have any harmful effect.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 14:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Greg
See User information
I haven't ever done it and I don't think the PO ever did. Should I soak it for awhile?

Posted on: 2008/6/1 16:37
Greg
'56 Clipper Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless the oil in bowl appears really thick & sludgy or the underside of element has big cakes of dirt or appears dried, it should not be necessary. Just sloshing it around and up & down for 30 seconds or so should be all that is needed.

You can kind of get an idea by seeing how dirty the drained out solvent looks or if there is anything that doesn't seem to come off bottom plate. As Owen mentioned, the material is a fiber so make sure it hasn't dried or deteriorated to the point its coming out of the holes to get sucked into engine.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you have the time it can't hurt to soak it in varsol or kerosene overnight or even longer. Then swish it around a little, take it out and let it drip dry over a drip pan. Finally pour a little oil in to dampen the fibres.

Not sure about Packard but Chrysler used to recommend 50 wt oil. If this is not available Walmart sells straight 30 4 stroke lawn mower oil.

You don't need to clean out the bottom pan until it is half full of dirt. Just top it up to the level line.

If it has too much dirt, you take it off and pour out the oil, and wipe out the sludge with rags or cotton waste. Give it a final wipe with a rag dampened in varsol.

In today's driving conditions it should stay good for years. In the old days of dirt roads they had to service the filters more often, in real dirty conditions they recommended daily servicing.

Posted on: 2008/6/8 20:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved