Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 224

Don B, Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Uh Oh! Water in oil.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
My car over heated at the same time the fuel pump pin came out. I now have the new fuel pump in, and when I was filling the radiator, I got some bad tappet.

I know about adding the extra quart of oil to remedy tappet due to the poor oil pump design, so I checked the oil level. The problem I see is that the oil sure looks quite thin. It drips too quickly off the stick.

I am concerned I have a cracked block, blown gasket or something.

What is the best way to start looking for the precise cause?

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Uh Oh! Water in oil.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Is the oil milky in appearance?

Posted on: 2012/9/12 14:59
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jeff, one telltale sign of water in the oil is that the oil will appear to be latte colored. Is there any sign of motor oil in the radiator, especially around the cap? If the oil is clear and thin looking you may be okay. What weight oil are you using? Many of us use a 15W-40 weight oil of different brands. Others here can offer more and probably better advice.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
No. It didn't seem to be milky. Looked like normal oil color. Just thin and runny.

Any other thing to check about the oil?

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As others have mentioned if there is water, generally it will be cloudy or looking more like a milkshake. Has the level increased on the dipstick and if so, any chance it could be fuel that leaked thru the pump diaphragm during your recent episode. I think I would drain a quart out or open the oil filter and see what it looks like in quantity.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jeff:

Test one: Check for gasoline dilution by holding a flame under the dipstick. If it burns then gasoline has diluted oil.

Test two: put a drop of oil onto a hot exhaust manifold. If it boils water is present in the oil.

If you are sure you have a water problem then change to non-detergent 30w motor oil and run the car for a while. Firstly the oil level should increase and when you remove the drain plug water should pour out.

Hopefully you don't have a problem.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Oil on dipstick does not burn with a flame.

It does not appear frothy, milky or bubbly. Should the car run for a bit before testing the appearance of frothiness?

I have not tested for water boiling off from a hot manifold because I wanted to be sure it's okay to run the car until hot if there is indeed water in the oil.

The tappet sounded bad, but I used to correct it by adding about 1 quart above the "full" line.

The oil level on dipstick appears to be at that height - maybe a bit more, but not that much more.

It's just the tappet that made me check the oil, and when I did, it sure seemed thin and runny. Maybe it was the type of oil put in?

Let me know whether I should run the car to do additional checking as described. I can do it if you think it's okay. I just don't want to risk a more serious problem if there is one already.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 18:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
It was asked earlier, "Is there any sign of motor oil in the radiator, especially around the cap?"

How would I check for that? Incidentally, since the car overheated and spewed out the coolant back a few weeks ago, I had to top off the radiator today. It took a lot of water. I didn't measure, but wouldn't be surprised if it took a good couple gallons - maybe more.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Maybe, it's nothing. I let it run a bit, and the tappet went away. There were just a few, small bubbles on the dipstick, but they were small. I doubt there were enough there to indicate a problem.

Could be just that I got worried, with that tappet and all. I still think the oil is thin.

Off to another topic.... running hot. I'll start a new thread for that.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Jeff, you got issues!

Coolant in the oil is often due to a blown head gasket. You cannot mistake coolant in oil for anything else, either..it looks like coffee with cream..oil and fluids don't mix, so it's petty disgusting and easily identified as 'wrong'.... you can almost see the greenish tint to the oil (esp. if it's clean), and it smells unmistakably like there's *something else* in it, that sweet smell of coolant. If you remove the radiator cap when cold, the top of the coolant will have a layer of brown oily debris, think: BP oil spill. When you say the oil is 'thin', that doesn't sound like coolant. Oil is thin, especially when warm. If it's golden in color and it doesn't smell like anything else is in it, then it might be OK.

Also, the coolant level will be lower, and the oil level will be higher. In the absence of any of these symptoms, it might be something else. If it is the head gasket, it will get worse, making diagnosis easier.

As an FWIW, I use Rotella T 15w-40, and I never heard of adding an extra qt. to eliminate tappet clack. More oil=more foaming, which would be seen as bubbles on the dip stick. The clack isn't an issue as long as the engine is relatively smooth running.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 21:31
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved