Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

33 standard 8 Generator cutout regulator
Just popping in
Just popping in

jkautoservice
See User information
have a customer with a 33 standard 8 sedan. Need to replace the fused field controled cut out regulator for the generator. Purchased a new one that was 50.00, instead of the 350.00 dollar one. The one that was sent to me is NIEHOFF cut out Relay only. It works as a cut out but not a field control, and i don't want the Generator to overcharge. Any ideas, or do i need to go with the 350.00 Regualtor? any help would be much appreciated.

-Joe-
North Lima, OH

Posted on: 2012/10/3 14:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 33 standard 8 Generator cutout regulator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How many of us are now wishing we would be have bought the NAPA VR-755 direct replacement while they were still available as recently as just two years ago for about $38?

Your orginal was a OD 21262 and I'm not aware of any direct replacement though you might want to contact Jason at AER for options.

However, your unit did not fully control amperage output as in a more modern unit, you have a 3rd brush generator and output was controlled by the the adjustable brush (screw head on the generator rear). Even with the correct generator control and 3rd brush adjustment, many of us still have the need to drive with the headlights on to prevent overcharging when on extensive day-long drives, just as folks did back in the time.

What is "the $350 unit" is or who makes/offers it? The original O-D unit can often be repaired, unless they are abused they are extremely robust, never had to change or even look at mine in 50 years.

Attach file:

jpg  (173.68 KB)
177_506ca3bba4be7.jpg 929X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/10/3 15:30
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jkautoservice
See User information
i appreciate the help

Posted on: 2012/10/4 8:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Give this one a try
http://www.ebay.com/itm/K7786C-New-John-Deere-Tractor-Regulator-60-70-G-Mower-VR1813-/230810306024
or
think NAPA still sells it. It been some yrs since i bought one but think it was listed for '65 VW as well as farm/etc stuff.
Not 100% of the orig but its a box that mounts to the gen.
VR1813 is the model.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 8:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Joe,
I should be able to help you. I have two or three different options and none of them are at a cost of $350. Feel free to give me a call or email and we can discuss the options.
Jason

Posted on: 2012/10/7 21:26
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved