Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 1940 160 SUPER 8 OIL PRESSURE QUESTIONS
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I refer to it as speaking "Typonese"

Posted on: 2012/10/28 11:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear John:

This thread has been dragging. For your car the Packard oil pressure specification is 50 psi at 45 mph, so your motor is worn.

How long before it quits is dependent on how you use it. If you keep it off the highways and stay under 55 mph it could last for years of occasional usage such as local parades and such. Don't plan on any trips though.

A full repair would include cam bearings. A general idea as to wear could be had from checking a few bearings with Plastigage. The car may have been switched to detergent oil without dropping the oil pan, valve covers, and cleaning out the sludge, but the lifters are quiet so maybe it's just worn out.

Hope this helps you avoid burning out a rod bearing.

Posted on: 2012/10/28 17:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tim, thanks for your words of concern. The engine has probably less than 5,000 miles since a complete rebuild in the mid-1980s, so I don't think it is worn out. Oil pressure is probably more like 45-50 lbs at highway speed. I recently had the pan off, cleaned it and the oil strainer. Just a small accumulation of sludge in the bottom of the pan. The "pil" (yes, I too have been there and done that) pump pickup screen was clean.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/10/29 22:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved