Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Re: If you are under sixty, how did you get interested in Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I'm 36 now, but I bought my Packard when I was 18. I wanted an old car, but was sick of seeing muscle cars at car shows. Looked through a copy of Auto Trader and saw the giant chrome grill on the Packard. That was all it took. Sold on just the looks and I had no idea what a Packard was.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 6:55
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I'm 52 and was always interested in owning an old car, but a Navy career, plus wife, plus seven children over the years always made it a bit impractical...if not expensive. Finally, 5 years ago, I happened to see my 50 Super on eBay close to my office. Went to look at it, and I was hooked. It's very hard to beat the prestige/cost ratio of the 48-50 models, and with those seven children still living at home, affordability was still a big factor. I would think that with young folks, affordability would be the biggest driver in these economically-challenged times.

But my BIGGEST advice to all of us out there is this. When I participate in a car show, I'm consistently discouraged to see owners who remain planted in their lawn chairs while folks are looking at their cars. Perhaps that's OK to some extent, but when I see someone with a CHILD nearing my car, I get up and walk over and immediately ask the child if they would like to sit behind the wheel. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a child totally AMAZED at the offer (along with the parent). The child gets in, the parent grabs their camera for a pic, and both have smiles a mile wide. For them, it's a refreshing break from looking at all the other cars that have DON'T TOUCH signs on them. And when that child goes home that day, they will have a memory...and if luck prevails, they will also remember (with the help of the parent) that it was a Packard that they got to sit in. That experience can have a profound impact on that child years later...hopefully influencing their choice of a hobby (and the right car for it)!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
"I would think that with young folks, affordability would be the biggest driver in these economically-challenged times."

That's it for sure. However, "normal" cars like camaros, GTOs, chevelles, etc are all getting cheaper or as cheap as nice packards go for. 15k will get you a hell of a nice A body right now, when it used to be 25-30.

5K will get you a nice driver of almost any era.

About not touching the cars, someone here told a story somewhat like below (don't remember who, sorry):

"So i asked the kid and his mom if he'd like a picture behind the wheel. She was shocked and the kid was so excited and climbed in and played like he was driving and got some photos, hands on all the dash controls, etc.

She looked back and said thank you so much, the kid was smiling from ear to ear. I said no problem, i don't care, it's not my car.

The look on her face was priceless! But i assured her it was, and i'm sure they'll both remember that day."

I can't resist using that line when i let people in my cars now.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 9:05
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mikkel
See User information
My name is Mikkel and I am 17, and my interest in Packards started a couple of years ago, when my dad got himself a Packard Clipper 1956 (he`s of course a Packard Info member).
He started telling me about Packards as well as asking me to help him when fixing the car. Now I think it`s fun to learn about how the car works and the company history. I especially like to drive it whenever I`m allowed, it`s big and mighty.

Mikkel

Posted on: 2012/10/30 14:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mikkel,
to PackardInfo. Another generation of membership, fantastic!
Sorry for the diversion, now back to the topic at hand.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 14:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

markinroseburg
See User information
Dave, fantastic Idea!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 14:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Now we are getting somewhere. Keep the comments please!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 15:25
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
I was givin one...., then recently a second. Truth be told, three years ago, I didn't know what a Packard was. There was just an ancient car in my uncle/Grandfather's garage. Now it is a basket case in mine......, but it is progressing!

I am 40, my son 12. My plan is to have him take his drivers test in a his great-grandfather's 88 year old (by then) car!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
When I was a kid there was an "old" lady who worked downtown in the little town where I still live and she drove a powder blue, 48, 49 or 50 Packard club sedan. This was in the mid 60's and I was fascinated by her car! Mrs. Childress told me the car was a 25th anniversary present to her from her late husband. She never intended to drive any other car, and she in fact did not. She drove the car until she stopped driving and then the car went to her grandson. When I was with my mother or grandmother, they were always thrilled to find Mrs. Childress at work. The first thing out of my mouth was, "Mrs. Childress, may I sit in your car while Momma/ Meme shops???" She was so gracious and trusting, she always said yes and ignored the horn blasts and 'pretend' driving every time! I knew from then on I wanted to own a bathtub Packard some day... I often wonder about that car... Who knows, maybe it is owned by one of you???!!!

Posted on: 2012/10/30 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm 66 - but my parents had Packards when I was a kid. Dad was a new doctor who had just moved to a little town in west TX in 1948. Both Mom and Dad had Chevy's, one 40 and one 46. The old town doctor told Dad "if you want to be a successful doctor, you have to look like one. Get rid of those Chevys and buy a Packard!". Dad took the advice and bought a 48 Super.

As a 4 year old, getting in the back seat of the 48, I slammed the rear door on my left hand, breaking my ring finger. It is still crooked, so I guess I was marked to own Packards. Had a 51 200 and a 53 300 in high school, a 51 200 back in the 70's, then a 40 120, a 41 110, and now a 39 120 sedan and a 51 200 sedan.

Posted on: 2012/10/30 21:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved