Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: filter change
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Oil filters I believe were an option. I had a 49 packard std with no filter.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You could probably adapt a remote oil filter that would take a modern spin on cartridge. It would still be in a by-pass configuration. You would need to be careful about maintaining any restrictor fittings so as to not disrupt the designed oil flow. Not recommended, but one could be fitted.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/1 12:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oil filters I believe were an option. I had a 49 packard std with no filter.

A filter was always standard equipment on the 356 engines from 1940 thru 1950, optional on the others, and this was because the 356 used hydraulic lifters. Full flow filters on Packard ended in 1939 with the last of the Twelves and Super Eights - these engines were all full-flow beginning in 1934 and perhaps on the Twelve back to 1932.

A modern spin-on filter in bypass mode offers no advantages over the standard Packard canister type bypass filter other than a little less housekeeping when changing elements. With the limited use and good maintenance (oil changes annually regardless of miles, for example) that collector cars usually get, it'd doubtful that a filter adds very significantly to engine life, at least over the engine lifespan that most of us will experience with these cars.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Mine is a 49 Deluxe with the 288 and it has the filter. Guess by what Owen says it's an option. Nice! I was just wondering if it was possible to give it better filtration. Obviously not a viable option, but that's ok. It worked well when the car was made so it will work 60 some years later. Thanks guys for the heads up.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 20:11
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved