Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
268 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 266

Tobs, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

brake shoes; relining
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

charles craig
See User information
who does brake shoe relining? have one set that I need to have relined; spoiled by brake fluid. the rest look good. recent brake work ,very little wear. TIA

Posted on: 2012/12/1 17:37
 Top  Print   

Re: brake shoes; relining
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Depending on year and model, many options. You should be able to find a brake shop in your area that can reline your shoes, albeit with modern (non-asbestos) linings. There are also vendors who advertise in Hemmings and other publications who do this service. Depending on year and model you may find it easier to just buy new lined shoes rather than have yours relined though this isn't a option for all years and models, especially not for the prewar Senior models. Sources would be both your local auto parts store and Packard vendors like Kanter Auto and Max Merritt. Have you checked the parts cross-reference lists on this website?

Best practice is always replace linings on both sides of an axle at the same time, so if for example you need to replace linings on the front left, you should also replace the front right with the same linings. Otherwise it's very likely that the two different sets of linings will have different frictional properties and a brake imbalance may very likely result.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 20:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There are original asbestos linings on ebay. In Penna. we are allowed to have them installed on an "antique" car.
I have found only one shop in Pgh. area that still does riveted lining.

Posted on: 2012/12/1 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
rjtcreg, check with shops in your area that advertise for relining clutches and brakes. Also, have the relined shoes ground to the brake drum for proper size.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/1 22:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

charles craig
See User information
FOUND what i needed in latest of HEMMINGS. relatively close bout 75 miles in ANAHEIM CA. gonna recheck another shop in VICTORVILLE CA LOT CLOSER IF i CAN GET IT DONE THERE. thanks even one more head in the equation helps MOOCHO CC

Posted on: 2012/12/11 18:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved