Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

brake help
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Could some one please give me the original wagner FD number for the master cylinder on a 49 Deluxe. I've seen here in a posting and cannot find it. The funny or ironic part is, I participated in the posting.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 20:00
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: brake help
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Master cylinder service unit assembly is FE-1134.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/12/2 22:01

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Bust. Went to get a master cylinder and using that number to cross over and it's not the same. Pulled mine off and the casting number in it is FE 1108. Anybody got info on this one. Not having much luck with this number either. I can get a rebuild kit for mine, but the bore may end up oversize when I hone the ripples out. Thank you in advance for all who assist.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 17:12

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My Wagner master catalog also gives FE-1134. If you can't find an interchange at the local auto parts store with that #, you can buy a new master cylinder from Kanter Auto.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Yes I can, but that is in upwards of $170.00, plus shipping, plus brokerage, plus duty to here in Ontario, Canada. I would prefer to replace my master due to what the reservoir looks like inside, but a $32.00 rebuild kit is looking pretty good right now. The one I did get, although was wrong was only $93.00. I'll get a rag out now and wipe my tears, because of the whining I am posting.(LOL)

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:20

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting, isnt it. Seems almost nobody even considers rebuilding wheel cylinders and master cylinders anymore, most everyone just jumps right to purchasing new units. Not that many years ago you almost never bought new unless the pitting was really severe or they had been honed so many times the cylinders began to develop a bell mouth shape. Absolutely nothing wrong with honing and putting a kit into a master or wheel cylinder as long as a simple hone cleans up the surface. Hope you find a kit, did you ask Kanters or Max if they have rebuild kits?

PS - the same Wagner catalog should also list the master cylinder kit # and I'd be glad to look that up for you.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks for the offer Owen. I can get a kit here likely before lunch if I call first thing in the morning. I just came in from the shop after honing the master and it's measuring about .005 over one inch. The original seals are measuring .030 over one inch. That's enough to make a seal, so new ones will be much better. Also, I put everything back together just for fun and was getting good sealing. Do I dare??? Naw..don't think so, but I bet it would work. But that would be for desperate times. Almost all the ripples came out after honing, I got a really nice shiney finish, just like when I was rebuilding hydraulic cylinders for a living. New seals are going to make a world of difference, and I also think I could get another re-build out of the casting down the road. I still want to find another master cyinder, so tomorrow, I will post a picture of the casting. Maybe someone will know where I can get one. Also thought of trying some forklift companies. Lots of forklifts around from the time of Moses and parts should still be available. Again, thanks for the offer of help Owen.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 21:31

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Here's my master cylinder. Any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  (132.77 KB)
4917_50be005446020.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (141.66 KB)
4917_50be008c17721.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/12/4 8:54

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
If the cost of a master cylinder exceeds $100 you might consider sending the old one to White Post and having it sleeved. The sleeve maybe lasts forever since it is either brass or stainless steel. Last time I had that done the cost was about $75.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 10:26
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved