Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 248

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Need a photo of a 52 with Ivory and Black color scheme
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I had my 51 200 completely stripped, using crushed glass. I have now finished taking out all of the dents and getting rid of the rusted thru areas. The car will be painted right after Christmas. I'm leaning towards a 52 color scheme, with the Packard Ivory on the body and Jet Black on the top. The upholstery was done last year and is gray. Does any one have some good photos of this color scheme? I've looked in the photo archive and there are several examples, but could use some more photos especially some detail shots. thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/22 10:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Need a photo of a 52 with Ivory and Black color scheme
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just ran across this yesterday by accident. Try Craigslist for Fredericksburg VA. Sorry, I don't know how to do the link thing.

Anyway, it is an ivory and black 52 200 I did 20 years ago. Still looks quite nice.

Note that in 52 the entire upper portion from the beltline up is the upper color. This makes for much more masking than just painting the roof, but I like the effect. 52 was the only year of the contour era that they did it that way.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information

Posted on: 2012/12/22 16:54
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks - this helps! Hope you have a Merry Christmas too.

Posted on: 2012/12/22 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ok - another question. We had to remove some of the undercoating in one section of the trunk in order to remove a sizable dent. The trunk lid bottom is now painted black, but it will be painted Ivory along with the body. Should I replace the missing undercoating now so that everything is ivory colored, or should all of the undercoating be black? thanks!

Posted on: 2012/12/24 11:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, normally the trunk interior is body color.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/24 14:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Yep, planned on painting the bottom of the trunk lid Packard Ivory. The question was on the undercoating - should it be installed prior to being painted. I made the decision to reinstall the missing section of the undercoating so that it can be painted with the remaining original stuff and the metal. thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/26 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A (poor) photo of the underside of the trunk on an unrestored and extremely well-maintained 1951 Patrician, exterior color is green. I'd be surprised if 1952, regardless of model, was done any differently. From this vehicle it seems apparent that the black anti-drumming compound (like undercoat) was applied to the skin before the pre-painted substructure was installed and is not overpainted.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.29 KB)
177_50dbd0596a7dc.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2012/12/26 23:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The trunk "undercoating" is really a sheet of tar based mating that was applied to the trunk lid skin before it was crimped over the supporting structure. As such, it was painted when the assembled trunk lid was.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 13:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Kev, sounds like you don't agree with the evidence in the photo of the 51 trunk? My 56 trunk is somewhat similar to the 51, the substructure is white (upper body color) but the anti-drumming layer is mostly black with a bit of overspray on it, granted 55 and 56 Caribbean trunk lids were pretty much hand made and show quite a bit of variation. It will be interesting to see what others have observed if they have unaltered cars, I'd like to think the 51 trunk lid is definitive evidence though I suppose it could have been altered. The layer below the skin is a kind of asphaltic-coated felt on my 56,but is also clearly a sprayed material on the 51.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 13:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved