Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

kevinpackard, 29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Packard Hydro-E System
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
steel has the rubber conduit-30-0247-21 that fits the car, at least it's in the 07 catalog. also don't forget to look into plastic lines. dell

Posted on: 2012/12/24 12:58

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Thank you very much for this alert to Steele Products. I did find the original double hose on page 436 of their 2012 catalog. Never thought Steel would have this peculiar type hose.
The new hose that was made has a yellow collar that prevents the hose from slipping inside of a 5/8" heater hose (photo) and this made me look to larger heater hose. I need to get a length of hose from Steel and see if the collar will pass through that hose. If it does I can proceed with original type hose.
Thanks again, will report back soon. Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (46.11 KB)
3440_50d8a66d42324.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/12/24 14:08
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good luck. IIRC, Steele's conduit is a duplicate of the original as far as size. Will be softer so the yellow collar may stretch it to fit thru but don't think the ID is any larger. You might try some silicone spray or liquid dish detergent and see if that will make things slick enough for the hose to slide or be pulled thru.

PS: Another thing that works on rubber to rubber surprisingly well is liberally coating the cable surfaces and inside conduit with ordinary talcum powder. We used that when pulling multiple rubber or PVC covered electrical cables thru the protective hosing on medical equipt. It doesn't stick when it dries like ordinary electrical soap does.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.43 KB)
209_50d8bd1f22792.jpg 880X249 px

Posted on: 2012/12/24 14:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Thanks for this hint on lubricating the new conduit when it arrives from Steele. Also, which line to slide through first, etc. I am leaning toward WD-40 on first attempt. That new WD-40 with pump spray handle I have grown to like very much. I am supposed to have the new hose by Jan. 2nd. Someone before me--unknown--worked on these Packard windows, but apparently threw their hands up and surrendered as I have wanted to do several times.
The electrical lines are taped (elect tape), and new electrical ends have been put on. We are heading into TEXAS winter now, and Jan/Feb might slow me down some for working in the garage. Also we have our Texas Packard Meet first week in April, so I'm not sure about having this project "finished" to drive the car there. I'll be forced to drive my 52 Patina. The 200/288 drives like a dream.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.79 KB)
3440_50da0f6c766fb.jpg 1280X966 px

jpg  (166.76 KB)
3440_50da0fadcaee2.jpg 1280X966 px

Posted on: 2012/12/25 15:46
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
I've replaced the top pistons and rear quarters on my 49. After a good flush, they work fine using the ATF.
Making sure your getting approx. 6 volts to the solenoids is important.
At first I thought the rebuilt pump was not enough pressure, while having to give a manual assist to the top, however it was not getting enough voltage. Also, qtr. windows wouldn't move. New battery installed and all is fine.
I hope the springs in the front windows are not as hard to get back in as the qtrs. were. That will be next weeks project, after my back heals! Thanks for the pictures.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 8:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Update on hydro-e System project: Thanks to the input from everyone I am ready to begin installation of the new hoses. (Thanks, Steele & Hydro-E-Lectric). I thought I would have a problem inserting the new hose end with the yellow collar into the new conduit. Hydro-E has assured me that trimming that yellow collar away will not compromise anything to do with the hose. My plans are to begin working on one door at a time, install cylinder/frame, hoses, window glass, and then switch. Finish one door and go to the next so as to not completely forget where I left off. When all four doors are back together it will be time to test the pump part of the project and adjust the up-down movement of the glass. More to come soon.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.88 KB)
3440_50ec9745c4fbd.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (45.55 KB)
3440_50ec975a492a4.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (28.22 KB)
3440_50ec97700cd7c.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/1/8 17:04
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Going through the same process.
If you have an older Steele catalogue, the rubber conduit is not within.
The Steele Rubber conduit number, #30-0247-21. $65.90 pair.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 16:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi from Pflugerville, TX--luckily I had a 2012 Steele catalog and found it there. Thanks to forum suggestion above. This is the hardest project I've ever done on that Packard!! As I progress on reinstallation of parts, I'll picture and post! I'm hoping the last step, the hydro pump testing will not trip me up. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/1/9 17:04
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
some great info here! thank you all!

Posted on: 2013/1/9 19:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi from Pflugerville, TX: Regarding the Service Counselor, what exactly is this?? Is this the regular service manual that I have a copy of with wiring diagrams in the electrical section? I'm about to gear up and get this project going again, after the Texas Packard Meet April 5-6-7. Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/3/3 9:49
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved