Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New Google 3-D view--the Packard Plant as you have never seen it online!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Go to Google Maps, put in 1580 East Grand Boulevard Detroit Michigan and select 3-D view.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 12:54
 Top  Print   

Re: New Google 3-D view--the Packard Plant as you have never seen it online!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. Some interesting photos. Just out of curiosity any idea how many other Detroit plants or properties are in dire straits.

A news site I looked at in the last day or so had a piece on something else but accompanying photo was showing an abandoned multistory Fisher body plant building that looked to be in a very similar condition. Just wondering if any of those places are getting as much scrutiny as the Packard plant gets.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 13:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
That is Fisher Body plant 21, it is a local poster child for what used to be, and what has happened. I used to call on that plant when they produced commercial chassis'. It is just down Piquette street from Marvin King's building.
The Ford highland Park Plant is still standing, and not too bad, considering. Look up 14700 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI

and the Russell Industrial Center, former Murray Body Co. Plant at 1600 Clay street, Detroit MI 48211 is doing well, and is occupied. The Packard Plant used to be like these other two places, a business incubator before the city began their shady pogram against the Packard Plant.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
These are rather sad photos, when viewed as a group. Seventy-two years ago this plant was rolling out the new Clippers and other fine cars, with thousands of employees working within these walls supporting their families and taking pride in what they were building. There were esigners planning new models for the future. New Packards in a variety of colors rolled out of this plant destined for dealerships around the United States and Canada and other countries. The name Packard, as shown in one of the slides, made a statement about quality, innovation, and status. When a family bought a new Packard built in this plant it was a big deal. In family albums there are old photos of mothers, fathers, and children taken next to their new 120 or Clipper or other models. Now the people who once worked for Packard in this plant are in their late 70s or 80s. One day, like this plant, they too will be gone. It is a shame that this plant had to get to this state; I'm sure James Ward Packard would prefer another auto manufacturer be in it cranking out cars today, rather than see his dream turned to rust and debris, its walls spray-painted with gang grafitti and windows broken by vandals. Every car represents someone's dream, hard work, and hope, no matter whether it is a Bugatti, a Fiat, a Rambler, or a Packard. Cars gave Americans the freedom to move when and where they wished. This plant gave Americans one of those cars. It's up to us to keep at least a part of that dream alive.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 14:59
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Mr. Bumble,
What you wrote is both true and beautiful.
I only wish I could express myself as well you you did.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 16:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
very nicely said.

street view is impressive as well. i could see where all the industrial park business once were, including the chemical place that is "still" there.

Posted on: 2013/1/3 17:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The state of the factory plant site is even more reason to support the Packard Motor Car Foundation in its efforts to preserve the proving grounds. Give, please.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/3 18:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Here is a view of downtown Detroit taken early in Decemeber, Downtown is in much better shape than the east side, where the Packard plant is. My family and I were down here weekend before last and the place was thriving.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.75 KB)
129_50eb0c7a6bb5a.jpg 569X720 px

Posted on: 2013/1/7 12:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved