Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Packard Don, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Why is battery light on all the time?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
My buddy and I are trying to track down a number of electrical gremlins plaguing my '52 Packard 200 Deluxe.

One of the issues we are addressing is that the battery light on the instrument panel lights up whenever the key is turned on of course, but then STAYS on even when the engine is running. True, it is not on very "bright" - merely a modest glow, but it should be going OFF, especially once the engine is revved.

My buddy, who is a skilled mechanic of 35 years experience tells me that he HAS checked the generator output, and it IS charging. He theorizes that the regulator settings might have drifted enough to be causing the problem. True?

As many of you know, these cars came from the factory with EITHER an Autlite or Delco electrical infrastructure. Mine has the Delco parts. The 3-part regulator contains a circuit breaker, a voltage regulator, and a current regulator. The voltage and current regualtors are contatc type and are adjustable, and the manual in fact gives the procedures for properly adjusting them.

My buddy will get the required equipment to do so (he no longer HAS that equipment laying around!). But, before we do that, is he on the right track in thinking that this may be the cause of the always glowing battery light?

Yes, the battery light does get BRIGHTER when the lights are turned on (confirming a higher rate of discharge), and does fade in intensity when the engine is revved, but never goes "out" entirely.

Anyone?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/24 22:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Why is battery light on all the time?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Follow-up question: My buddy also said the regulator assembly looks too good to be 56 years old. He spculates it was replaced at some point. He wonders if whoever replaced it asked whether or not these assemblies are polarity sensitive. Remember, the 1952 Packard is wired with a positive ground system. There was at least one model year of 6 volt negative ground befoe Packard went 12 volt.

Are these regulator assemblies polarity sensitive? i.e. are there two different part numbers depending on positive or negative ground, or does it not matter?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/24 22:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Packard was positive ground even thru the first year of the 12 volt system, 1955. To my knowledge Packard never had a negative ground six volt system. My 1958 Motors Manual is wrong in that it lists 1955 Packard as 12 volt negative ground. Verify the generator number you have installed as well as the voltage regulator. The Delco gen is 1102778 or 1102773 and the regulator is 1118829.

Posted on: 2008/6/24 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Not trying to criticize anyone here but I've found that most mechanics are not trained in the troubleshooting of electrical systems. The problem you have is not a difficult one to correct normally. Could be nothing more than a bad connection. For most people fooling around with the regulator does more damage than good. My advice would be to take the car to an auto electric shop to have it analyzed. They will tell you what needs attention. Bob

With the engine running at a fast speed and a low battery the terminal voltage across the battery should be around 7.4 volts. This should be the regulated voltage. Your battery terminal voltage is probably less than 6 volts indicating a discharge situation. It's hard to trouble shoot by remote control. Sorry

Posted on: 2008/6/25 13:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
My buddy Randy, the mechanic, IS a veteran pro mechanic and hot rodder who in fact restores and hot rods cars. He is viewed by his boss at work as THE diagnostic expert.

He checked the voltage at the generator at idle and while I revved the engine, and pronounced it fine.

He also showed me that the voltage across the battery with the engine running was well above the static 6.15 volts I have seen when the ignition is "off", but I don't remember the reading he showed me.

Interestingly, when I took the car out yesterday, the day after we did the diagnostics, it exhibited the following behaviors:

1. The battery light did go "on" when the key was turned on, but then also went out immediately after the engine was started, each and every time. This happened all afternoon while I ran errands to 7 different places. I have no idea what "changed" from the evening before.

2. The signal indicator light in the instrument panel worked reliably MOST of the afternoon, but then towards the end of the afternoon, it started this behavior: when I tuirned on either the left or right signal, the indicator lamp in the instrument panel would flash 2 times, and then stop flashing. This happened most times, but not every time, after it began to happen. When I got home, I deliberately left the car running, turned on the left signal, and stepped outside the car to look at the actual singal lamps at the front and rear of the car. Both were flashing properly even though the instrument indicator lamp was not!

Today, a day later, I stpped out to the car, put the ignition switch into the accessory position, and activated the left signal. The exterior lamps flash properly AND the instrument light is again working correctly.

Do I have a Packard ghost resident within my car?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/26 17:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I suspect you have a 55 year old car with some rust and corrosion causing grounding and poor connection issues.

Posted on: 2008/6/26 17:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
"Do I have a Packard ghost resident within my car?"

Maybe the spirit of the original owner trying to communicate with you.

The only thing worse than having a car that's possessed is having one repossessed. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Posted on: 2008/6/26 19:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved