Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 161

BigKev, Tobs, Jack Vines, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Basically I am looking for the correct rivets that attach the vent window weatherstrips (rubber) to the division bar on the front doors.

These rubber weatherstrips have a metal 'stiffener' in them and are riveted onto the metal frame in three places. The original rivets are just a whisker under 1/8inch diameter (- possibly 7/64).

Pics below show the type of rivet (- a bigger version is also used to hold the rigid glass channel onto the division post (on the opposite side to the rubber weatherstrip)).

These are not snap / blind / pop rivets but another style. I think they are 'expanded' using some type of special punch or mandrel. They have to be very shallow so the vent window doesn't scrape against them. (Snap / blind rivets would typically be too raised if used here).

Below is a pic of something that could be similar but it is actually a repair part for a lamp socket (which is soldered onto the end of the lamp wire). Have included this pic as an example, in case anyone has seen a rivet that looks like this.

Hoping that someone can tell me what the exact name is of these rivets, and where you can buy them, and the tool to expand them. I cannot find a store that has them.

Maybe someone has used an alternative to these rivets? I could possibly cut down a blind rivet sufficiently to fit but would rather use the correct method.

Thanks in anticipation!

975: Showing end of the existing old rivet which attaches the weatherstrip to the vent window frame. Also shows the old and new rubber weatherstrips with pre-drilled holes for these rivets
Click to see original Image in a new window

978: Shows back of the attaching rivet, which is inserted through a hole in the rigid glass run channel. Back of rivet is quite flat so window glass will not rub on it

987: What I imagine these special rivets will look like (if I can get them!!)

984: View of rubber with "rivet" (not the proper one)

985: Another view of rubber with "rivet" (not the proper one)

Posted on: 2013/1/21 5:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Larry - you are doing it correctly, but my window guy used very small philips head screws to install the ones on my 51. They worked quite nicely. Try Restoration Specialities. They probably have the small rivets you need.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 10:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if 56 uses the same ones but if so, the head diameter looks to be an issue. Mine appears to be about 3/16" and am guessing length needed will be around 1/4.

My favorite supplier, McMaster-Carr doesn't have steel in that head size but does have a countersunk head in aluminum at .177 diameter and height at .051 that might work and fit the recess in the rubber. Shaft size at 3/32 might be too small though. Their next size shaft in other style rivets is 1/8 but head diameter goes up too.

jay-cee sales and rivetshttp://www.rivetsonline.com/ has a nice selection in various rivet types in steel down in that size range. They will ship overseas but maybe you can find one so you can identify the type and cross to what is available in Australia. $5 for a box of rivets and many times that for shipping would ruin my day.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The original style are called tubular rivets or semi tubular on the rivets online website with some good instructions on the proper length to use.
A special tool is needed to set them properly.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is the cover of the Restoration Specialties catalog and page 205 showing the rivets available from them. This might help you.

Attach file:

jpg  (59.03 KB)
1679_50fd89d0bf59e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.34 KB)
1679_50fd89e7c85de.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/1/21 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet Co. is where I bought all my semi-tubular rivets for my packard door and window restoration. You can buy the special setting tool from them too. The rivets are easy to use, but I had to grind off the sides of the setting tool to get it into the window channel. You can squeeze the setting tool against the rivet in a vise or use a c-clamp to compress the rivet. You need to get the correct rivet length as well as the diameter.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 16:11
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Larry -

It was a little tricky to find in the 51-54 parts book, but looks like Gr. 30.4335, for the wing window rear weatherstrip shows the rivets - 6 of P/N 424657. That's three per side. Sound right?

If so, while there no detail provided in the application listing for 51-54, I wondered if the Utility (hardware) section 55-56 parts book might have it.

Sure enough, Gr. 50.425, for tubular rivets, shows P/N 424657 with dimensions of 3/32 x 5/32 x 5/32", in cad-plated finish (over steel). I believe rivets are usually specified by outside diameter of the tube (aka - shank, shaft) and then length of the rivet (that is, the shank only). I'm guessing that the third dimension, in this case, might be outside diameter of the rivet head.

Anywhere else you might be able to use pop-rivets or screws, but I'd be concerned about possible interference with the door side glass, which moves up and down on the opposite side of that division channel. Better to stick with tubular rivets of correct length.

A few years ago, BigKev brought up question, in his blog project blog, WRT a setting tool for the tube rivets supplied for rebuilding his Trico WSW pump, and I pointed him in the right direction with this post. Might give you some ideas, as well.

Posted on: 2013/1/21 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Many thanks David, Howard, BdeB, Fred and Brian for that excellent information. Now that I know what they're officially called I'll measure and have a look at Australian sites for some. Will keep you posted!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Short update on the 'rivet' sourcing . . . .

It's difficult to find any source of these in Australia! I'm not really surprised. Luck was with me when I found this company - Sydney Mustang Parts who is mailing me some today. They are 1/8inch and probably correct length so if they seem OK I'll just enlarge the holes to accommodate them. If that fails then perhaps it's a purchase from JayCee Sales & Rivets Inc in the US or maybe small self-tappers as David suggested. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2013/1/21 19:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved