Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 air cleaner screw
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
where can I get the long screw that goes in the middle of the carb that holds the air cleaner on over the carb. 359 engine?

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 air cleaner screw
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I would bet that you could get a length of standard threaded rod at your local hardware store (1/4-20) and cut your own. -Not sure if it is 1/4-20 or another size.

Posted on: 2013/2/6 6:25
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The parts manual says the top portion is threaded at 1/4-20 but no mention of the bottom part. You will have to verify that one. One other question someone might answer is if in Carter carbs the rod is also used as a bolt like in some Rochesters. Since the 54 cleaner is different than earlier, the rod length may be different as well.

If no one comes forward with the proper item or info, in addition to the threaded rod (easiest and fastest) McMaster-Carrhttp://www.mcmaster.com/ has an item called a spacing stud available with 1/4-20 thread and in various lengths. That might look more like the factory piece. You could set the cleaner in place and using something thru the hole down into the bottom threaded portion, get an idea of the approximate length needed.

If the two threads are different then I'm afraid it is find the real item or make one by threading some round steel rod. Most good hardware stores will have wingnuts suitable for the top available in single quantities. If not found locally, McMaster also has those in various shapes but you will have to buy their packaged amount.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.61 KB)
209_51127bfc7024b.jpg 320X126 px

Posted on: 2013/2/6 11:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
It is 1/4 20 , but is does have a jog in it, not too hard to do a double bend in it to .

Posted on: 2013/2/6 18:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved