Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 223

Don B, Chuck McDonald, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bit of a '31 845 Dietrich Sport Sedan's history
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Leafing through some old Cars & Parts magazines, this came to my attention noted on the cover. Whether this is THE '31 845 Dietrich Sport Sedan shown last year at Pebble Beach is unknown to me. Whatever the case, it's amazing that such a significant car would come to such a state. Even more amazing is that Packard enthusiast at the time were treating it as a parts car! Thankfully, it was saved by a perceptive, intelligent Packard man then for us to enjoy now!

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (106.30 KB)
409_51125ccab5b43.jpg 798X1014 px

Posted on: 2013/2/6 8:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Bit of a '31 845 Dietrich Sport Sedan's history
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting and thanks for posting. Do you have a good picture to post of the finished car as it appeared after restoration or at Pebble?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hey that's a great picture. I had no idea that car was near scrapping, but that's not the half of it.

How about an 8000 mile Packard 8 town car that was torched for parts?

I could go on, and on, and on.

Ted Kavenagh bought a nice original Packard sedan for $25 because he needed the hood ornament, he drove it home, removed the hood ornament, and then had trouble getting his money back.

Once I was having lunch with George Jepson and he lamented at how many Packard sedans he had cut up for parts.

That's the way things were back then. Although I'm glad the Dietrich was saved and I think it's a true custom one off deal. At least according to Turnquist.

Here is a shot from Harrah's. I like it because it doesn't have those chi-chi chrome wheels. However, it looks too good to be the same car.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.60 KB)
373_511277f383378.jpg 750X608 px

Posted on: 2013/2/6 10:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

For the 2012 Pebble Beach photos, I Googled Images for the event. A bunch of good ones come up on Flickr. There may be more on VaultCars.com.

Indeed, gentlemen, it's heartbreaking to see the photos of Packards and other Classic that are now lost forever, to scrap drives and just wasteful indifference. Even worse is hearing about those that were scrapped after the war, either because so many pre-war Classic, stored during the war years, glutted the used car market or because those few nascent car collectors had access to far more than their limited resource could sustain.

This particular Packard Dietrich sport sedan and a REO Royale also with this same Dietrich body are the few remaining representatives of the nascent 3-box sedan that would come to dominate body architecture in ensuing decades. Along with the 845 sport sedan built in-house for Alvan Macauley, the Stutz Weymann Monte Carlos and twelve Jordon Speedway Z Sportsman Sedans, and in a couple years, the Duesenberg J Rollston Arlington "Twenty Grand" they are the earliest examples. Other Survivor are a few Stutz Monte Carlos showing us the beginnings of 3-box design configuration. If others examples survive, I'd to glad to know of them.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/2/6 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Three of these Sport Sedans are known to exist. The Nethercutt car and the Hilaride car in California, and the Strong car in Illinois.

Posted on: 2013/6/18 12:39
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved