Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

kunzea, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Practical ways to add air conditioning?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
I am literally using my '52 Packard 200 as my daily driver while my other daily driver, a '55 1st Edition (NOT 2nd Edition!) Chevy pickup gets its new engine and running gear, refreshed body work, and new paint.

I live in Texas where the daily highs have been 100 degrees or thereabouts each and every day for the past 4 weeks straight.

I need to add air conditioning.

Remember that a '52 Packard 200 is both 6 volt and positive ground, and the generator makes only 45 amps at 6 volts.

What's the best way to add AC, taking a long term view?

Convert from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative as a prerequisite?

Install a period-correct underdash AC unit that also requires me to add a separate heater / defroster?

Install a modern AC unit that we "try" to hid mostly behind the dash (tight!)?

Install a modern unit but in the area under the rear parcel shelf, between back seat and trunk, like Packard did originally from the factory?

Are 6 volt AC compressor clutches even available anywhere?

Where do I get a pulley and bracket arrangement to drive the AC compressor?

How much should I realistically expect to spend, parts and labor, given that I lack ANY / ALL of the skills needed to install an AC system.

etc. etc.

Any wise counsel out there?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/6/28 12:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Practical ways to add air conditioning?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you have pretty much nailed your options, and I don't think there will be much choice.

Anything made mid to late 50's on will require 12v. I know of no 6v clutches other than lucking out on ebay or a junkyard. Chances of just a clutch fitting a modern unit might not be too good either so then the compressor it comes with will probably have to be rebuilt. Depending on compressor there is the high possibility there are no rebuild parts available (example is original Lehigh 55-6 Packard setup).

Assuming clutch issue resolved, then the blower motor would have to be changed. While 6 v motors available, maybe not for the unit you wind up with without considerable work. Think $ for that.

Turbopackman has mentioned a Ford damper assy many times on the forum so that and bracket with necessary idler (which can be fabricated) are least of worries with modernish -again, just $.

I guess longwinded me is thinking that the only options you have is find a COMPLETE 6v unit from junkyard or ebay and spend to fix it up or convert to 12v and get a more modern unit. I know there are voltage converters/doublers available to run radios etc but seriously doubt anything large enough for an AC would be found or practical.

The trunk vs front is personal preference. The front obviously will cool you quicker and to my mind, better.

EDIT: Out of curiosity I did a quick search for 6v compressor clutch and found several other car clubs & members (Ford, Chry etc) wanting to do the same as you. Consensus is all 6v units had no clutch--just removed belts in winter. That brings up a whole new set of things to think about--like temperature regulation. With no clutch, hot gas bypass was the method (53-4 Packard) so again options slim because those parts are about as hard to find as clutches and compressor pieces.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Install a 12 alternator on the engine and a small motorcycle battery somewhere. Go wit h the 12v aftermarket AC unit or junk yard retro fit.

If u are will run without the trunk lid maybe consider a houshold window unit?????? Just a pipe dream i've been thinking about.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I call this Redneck A/C

Attach file:

jpg  (17.29 KB)
1_4866b0b88f7ef.jpg 492X335 px

Posted on: 2008/6/28 16:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's an option & possibly practical in some circles. With the price of copper though, the cost of the extension cord might be a bit steep. Maybe Jeff Foxworthy ought to weigh in on this one.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I also researched the 6 volt a/c for my 38.
I found that someone produced an A/C kit for early VW's that used a York style 6 volt compressor/clutch .
Maybe someone knows in the "Bug " world knows ?

RT

Posted on: 2008/6/29 17:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't have much luck finding info on that VW setup but an interesting thread on a Hudson forum. One member says that by reducing the clutch gap to minimum, a 12v will pull in on 6v which he has had running on his car. He replaced the blower motor on an aftermarket under dash with a 6v and changed to a 6v alternator which puts out 53a. Anyone have a comment on that scenario.

Also regarding the VW, I wonder how that worked. As I recall, VW's of that era didn't have much power to spare for AC and to move the car--and how/where did a big York fit.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I couldn't find a pic of the VW/York-but I did find an interesting site www.gilmore-enterprises.net
They have a smaller compressor with a wide belt for the air cooled engine.And they have a condensor that mounts under the body.So maybe I could install a/c with the condensor mounted under the frame with an electric fan like the hot rods do with a tranny cooler.(I don't want the condensor seen when the shutters are open,and I don't want to cut holes the fire wall.)
I don't know if I can fit a extra pulley to the front of the engine do to lack of clearance at the radiator.

The newer Packards may have more room under hood.

I'm running a 50 amp delco 6 volt positive ground alt.on my 38 and I love it ! So If the Hudson guy got the clutch worked out and you can find a blower motor -It might only take some fabrication of brackets and hoses to make it a very cool ride !

Posted on: 2008/6/29 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Interesting Air-Con web site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~bob1.gardner/id26.html

Look down the RIGHT side of the screen.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 22:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
OK, I did and there is nothing there but the end of the question or answer. If you want us to look at something, then point it out.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 23:10
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved