Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 245

BigKev, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

52 Mayfair
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I was admiring the 52 Mayfair of Denny Z? and wondered about the four porta-vents on the rear quarter.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1918&cid=54
I learned to drive in a 52 Mayfair of the same color, Twilight Taupe and Sunset red metallic. My memory says there were only three porta-vents on our Mayfair. Only the Patrician had four. Did the owners add one or know if the dealer did? I think I like the four better. Our interior was a maroon or dark red leather and a gray nylon. I really liked that car and have a soft spot for it. Here's a pic of me and an early girlfriend with the Mayfair.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.89 KB)
23_48670e4564715.jpg 364X544 px

Posted on: 2008/6/28 23:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 52 Mayfair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My God Randy, what are you in that pic, like 12-13? Ahh, the good 'ol days!!

Posted on: 2008/6/28 23:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

I believe I was 16 at the time. And YES, they were the good old days. I was living in Calif. then.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 1:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I just noticed this, is that a dog inside the car, on the driver's seatback?

Posted on: 2008/6/29 1:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't the AQ book (or maybe it was Dawes) mention the 4th ventiport as option and owners and a lot of dealers added them to "lesser" cars for the very reason you stated-- they felt they gave the car a better balance.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't recall reading that in the AQ book, so it may have been Dawes. And yes Eric, that is a chihuahua on the back of the front seat. Anytime anyone went near the car, "Rusty" would jump in. He was my Mom's dog and loved to ride.
There was a 52 Mayfair in this color scheme on ebay and may still be there. It was in Oregon and had maroon and yellow vinyl door panels?? I still have the blue dealer card that came with our car showing the key codes and color codes.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 8:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Randy -

Fer a minute there, I thought you had posted a rare snapshot of James Dean with some Hollywood starlet!

BTW, I checked my edition of the Dawes book, and the only reference to ventiports for 1952 was for the Patrician - noting four were installed, compared to three for the previous series. I did find an artist's rendering of a 1953 Mayfair with three ventiports in that same book, but the caption advised that they were deleted from actual production - with no clear reference as to "when". It also shows an actual 1953 Convertible with three ports, but claims they were later deleted from production - hinting that some had been previously built with them. Perhaps their elimination has something to do with material allocations during the Korean Conflict, but I'm drifting off-topic a bit.

Curiously, the Model Info pages for the 25th Series, here, include what appears to be a factory photo showing a 250 (Mayfair) hardtop with four ports. However, I'm not so familiar with those cars to be able to say what is correct versus a discrepancy in marketing materials. (For example, the 1955 Packard brochure shows a Patrician with a side trim treatment that never saw regular production.)

As extensive as the Kimes/AQ book is, it is difficult to find such details therein. I did find a pic of a '52 Mayfair with four ports, but nothing about that particular aspect.

There's good aesthetic reason for adding the fourth, but unless someone has a documented explanation, I can only suspect it was a dealer or owner modifcation.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I remember my father adding an additional port to lesser Packards to dress-up the appearance. In my mind, four look better than three.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It was my understanding that the ports could be ordered as an accessory. I will have to dig up where I read that at.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 11:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I just remember reading it was an accessory--something in the low dollar range like 3 or 4 and owners and dealers alike ordered to enhance or balance the car because the extra space made it look like something was missing. I guess it also made a low end car move up in the world.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 12:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved