Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 103 104 105 (106) 107 108 109 ... 145 »

Re: Stewart
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think priming would hurt anything but now that it has started, unless every microscopic speck of the existing rust is removed I would wonder if it could start again under an ordinary primer. While stainless is supposed to not be prone to rusting I have also seen it underneath so we know Packard stainless does rust. Perhaps Packard used a fairly low grade of stainless. If that is the case maybe use some kind of rust encapsulating and preventive product instead of consumer or ordinary primer. Rust Bullet is one product which some reviews claim to be more effective than POR 15 and also requires less surface preparation.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 13:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Phosphoric acid. Which I use works the best. Mine is pure. And I mix to my liking.

All these rust products have it in it.

Or. Vinegar. Vinegar takes longer.

Posted on: 2022/12/3 13:38
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Cleaned up reynolds wrap for the doors. Turns out the stainless steel was not rusted. It was rust stained from the trim clips that fasten everything to the body. With a little steel wool, 1000-grit sandpaper and elbow grease they clean up pretty well.

Bought a couple of paint pens to try painting the black stripes. the one on right below is from Dupli-COlor. It did not work well at all. The paint flow was not consistent. Sometimes it ran too fast and others times I could not get enough paint at all.

The one on the left is actually a Sharpie. It contains an Oil Based paint The tip of the Sharpie was too wide so I took a razor blade and trimmed it down. You should be able to see the size difference in the second image.

The results were not perfect but I think they look good. I was able to paint 12 lines in about 5 minutes. Wanted to let it dry before finishing it up tomorrow.

Posted on: 2022/12/12 19:06
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, stainless doesn't rust.

Posted on: 2022/12/12 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Looks good, but one problem you might encounter with Sharpies is that they rub off quite easily on nonporous surfaces. Often just handling the object will be noticeable.

Maybe try a Forney paint marker. Ross recommended them to me and they work well on stainless. I even used it to repaint the black ring on the hubcaps. Just spin once around the inside and outside then fill in the middle. Photo attached.

By the way, the black lines originally were in between the ridges, not on them. It's hard to tell which it is in your pictures. Just FYI.

For the trim clips I soak them in evapo rust then coat them with Rustoleum, not the spray paint, but the spray enamel. A long time ago I sprayed the clear stuff on a rusty fence gate and it lasted probably 5 years outdoors so using it on the trim clips (I use black) should last a very long time. Just let it cure fully before install.

Attach file:

jpg  20221029_182711.jpg (190.19 KB)
225076_6397c4e273e19.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/12 19:18
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Of course, Stainless steel does not rust but sometimes the low-grade stuff can have impurities that can rust or surface rust.

This is not a normal Sharpie with ink. It's an oil-based paint just like Forney marker. I don't know, the Forney pen may be better. I will check the durability of the Sharpie Paint once it cures.
I can maybe spray clearcoat over the whole thing when done.

Posted on: 2022/12/12 20:09
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
👍

I need to do that with my dads.

I was thinking pin stripper

But that looks ok.

Posted on: 2022/12/12 22:19
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I am sure some of you are riveted to the edge of your chairs regarding the striping on the stainless steel wrap.

I was not happy with the result of the Sharpie Oil Paint pen. As
humanpotatohybrid said above it, peeled off too easily. I even used a cheap rattle can clear coat on part of it and it was only slightly better.
I have already ordered a Forney Paint pen and we will see if that works.

I did finally manage to get the last of the little clips inside of the rear windshield installed. It really would have helped to know that there were two different sizes. Fortunately, I had a few extra from Packard Southwest and was able to get the job done.

Attach file:

jpg  20221129_154754_resized.jpg (126.83 KB)
5209_639bb82612af4.jpg 954X2016 px

Posted on: 2022/12/15 19:18
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
The Forney paint pen showed up a few days ago and I gave it try. The results were good but I do not believe the paint to be any more or less durable than the Sharpie paint pen that I tested last week.
The Forney did lay down a little better and the paint flow was better. The Sharpie did a good job but the flow was
a little too heavy and made the unpainted lines very thin and hard to see in some places.

I figure this 400 will never be left in the weather as long as I own it so the line should last a long time. I went ahead and mounted it to the door.

Attach file:

jpg  20221220_152513_resized.jpg (83.31 KB)
5209_63a3993c33ea4.jpg 1008X477 px

Posted on: 2022/12/21 18:49
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Looks good

Posted on: 2022/12/21 23:53
Riki
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 103 104 105 (106) 107 108 109 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved