Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

Kevinanderson, tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

series 22
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
I am now looking for some help on how to rebuild my vacume wiper motor. I have vacume from my fuel pump to the wiper motor, but no wiper action. Please help with teck tips. Lonny

Posted on: 2013/2/13 21:01
 Top  Print   

Re: series 22
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the switch knob cable is properly adjusted and slider is moving to uncover the ports and not leaking, you may have some luck with lubrication per this bulletin. Instead of the Trico oil, some have suggested ordinary vacuum pump oil.

There are no real instructions on taking them apart and servicing other than remove the screws and the covers come off. To remove the paddle there are a couple of small valve pieces on the front that have to come out as well. Take note of how things are arranged. Rebuild parts are not available for user purchase. Those are only supplied and installed by the rebuilder.

You may find the inside gummy but more likely the seals and other components have dried, shrunk or worn and need replacement. If that is the case a rebuild is the best option and Ficken does excellent work.http://www.wiperman.com/

Attach file:

jpg  (48.70 KB)
209_511c4885c6d5d.jpg 250X765 px

Posted on: 2013/2/13 21:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Make sure vacuum line is connected correctly. My car the wipers did not work-they were connected incorrectly. If I remember-there are 2 ports-I think the one facing the outside of the car is left open to ambient. The other one is connected to the vacuum. If my memory is not correct someone will correct.

Posted on: 2013/2/14 8:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
thank you howard i will try and oil it and see if it will work. greatful for the info lonny

Posted on: 2013/2/15 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I rebuilt my vacum wiper ,I went in out of despiration living in a rainy place ,no kit in hand ,I found the ancient lubricant hard as a rock inside but everything else looking good ,was able to use modern blue liquid gasket material carefully applied and went with silicone lubricant .reccomend rebuilding on a dinner plate to not loose teensy pieces and remember how it came apart ,use your phone for before pics,you need small phillips and straight screw drivers but nothing else
the device is simple and elegant with the flippy paddle and shuttle valve

the cable arrangement under the hood howevwer is challanging

the best part is the blank looks that you get from your family in responce to your radient just rebuilt my 1952 vacum wiper motor glow

Posted on: 2013/2/21 8:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Steve - on my wiper motors, I've removed the old lubricant and added fresh, but the gasket around the shaft always seems to be damaged. After you used the RTV gaskets, how well did the motor work?

Posted on: 2013/2/21 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
great ,the original paper gasket is pretty flimsy .I would imagine if you find an NOS old rebuild kit, the gasket in it wll be decayed ,
the liquid gasket material has to be applied pretty carefully as the sealing area is physically narrow and theres holes to not plug up.youll get the great slap slap ,and a park feature ,the valve on the steering colomb can be turned 1/2 way to get a slower speed .
interestingly now that I think of it my rebuild was about 1 yr ago and now the wiper is a bit slow to get going first thing now .I wonder if the silicone grease was a bad idea ?,I havent relubricated it and never did figure aout a way to lubricate the posts that go through the firewall that the wiper arms pivot on

Posted on: 2013/2/22 9:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved