Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 179

Nevada56Hudson, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New Pack Owner....
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Hi all, My name is Jeff Teeter from Upstate Ny, and I Just wanted to introduce myself, as I have been prodding around on this great forum for a while now. I recently picked up a 51' 400 Patrician and I'm learning quite a bit about my car from this site. I posted a few pics of my 400 as well as a scan of the original invoice. Hopefully I can offer help down the road as I learn more myself....

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: New Pack Owner....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Jeff

Welcome to the PI website. 'Big Kev' has done a great job setting this site up and continually improving it. This is a great place to 'talk Packard' and learn from some Packard-Smart-People.

I too am a relatively new Packard owner. I found the website in December 2007 after getting my Clipper in Nov 07.

Thanks for uploading pictures and your invoice. There are lots of great items and data here.

Check out other 1951 owners in the Owners Registry. If you have not registered your car, I hope you do. There are Packard Pictures to check out, in the 1951 section. Also, ask your questions in a forum if you need help.

I have found this a great clearinghouse for all of us.

Do you know anyone in the Niagra Packard Club? There may be more than one in your area. Most regions have a 'Tech Advisor' and possibly a Tech Wksp annually. i went to the MN Packard Club's November workshop and found good people and good help.

DanL

Posted on: 2008/7/1 11:47
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Thanks for the welcome Dan! I'll do some research on local clubs too.....I'm so new to this I dont know where to start, but I'm glad this site is here to "guide" me. I'm currently replacing my entire brake system, from the master cylinder to the shoes, as well as the entire exhaust system.

Jeff

Posted on: 2008/7/1 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Jeff
I had to do the brakes on mine as well.
I didn't replace the lines but blew them out. I since have bought new material to replace the old lines. Someday I will.
The biggest problem that I had was that one wheel cylinder was corroded shut with congealed fluid and was badly pitted. I honed it out with a flexible honer but didn't examine it carefully enough. It was badly pitted right where the rubber cup moved and began leaking after 4 weeks. I have repaired it twice since then, honing it better each time. I will eventually need to have it replaced or resleeved (about a $50 repair). So far it has been 2 months w/o leaks and the brake petal is very solid.

HINT: I am not used to shop work and wear latex gloves around brake fluid and especially brake cleaner fluid. Saves hands and cleaning.
DanL

Posted on: 2008/7/1 14:01
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Dan,
Thanks for the info. When I received the car the brake pedal could be pressed all the way to the floor with zero results. I inspected all the brake components, and discovered the master cylinder was leaking badly, and pitted inside. The brake lines looked "ok", and the wheel cylinders were all internally pitted. I decided it would be a more reliable, and longer lasting fix for me to replace rather than rehone. I was able to scrounge up all the needed parts for under $500...now it's just getting it all put together. The brake lines looked good, but since I was replacing all the rest I figured I might as well do a complete rebuild, plus I just picked up a nice hydraulic double flaring tool from my Snap-On dealer, so it gives me a chance to try it out. Thanks again...

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Jeff,

Welcome aboard Packardinfo, a great site with great people only too willing to share their expertise and experience. See you're already aboard the Registry, thanks for that.

Enjoy your Packard and Packardinfo.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 16:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Thanks Mal, Glad to be here!

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 17:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
good luck with you new Packard. I did the same thing rebuilt my brakes from the ground up including putting new liners on the shoes. I ask a shop how much they would charge to put new liners on my shoes an they wanted $40 per shoe that was $320 that I could use elsewhere on my 53 Packard. I bought new liners from Kanter for $90 and did myself. Since I replaced my complete system I switch to Dot 5 fluid, They say that it is less moisture resistant and has a lower boiling point. It works fine, haven't had any problems. I just completed my interior ( see forum for pictures) did it all myself at a fraction of the cost. If I told you how much you would call me a liar.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Jeff: A big welcome to the forum. It sure is nice to see another high pockets Packard owner coming into the forum.

I own a 1953 300 series Cavalier. The Packard and I are located is Central Penna. in the town of Jersey Shore.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/1 19:51
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Thanks Dan, I'm going to go with the dot5 fluid too. Your interior looks great...so..how much??..I'll believe you!!

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:21
Jeff

1951 Patrician 400
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved