Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Grey engine paint from Bill Hirsch...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi all,

It's only a short time that I will get a phone call from my machine shop letting me know that my engine rebuild is complete on my '49 327.

That being said, I have been going back and forth on how to paint it. The machine shop will paint it for me, if I buy the paint. So I was going to purchase the grey paint thru Hirsch. But I think that I have decided that I would like to use a single stage catalyzed paint, as I have seen many examples of them standing up much better.

Which brings me to the problem that I don't have a sample that I can take to the paint shop to mix a batch.

Does anyone have some extra dabs of the Bill Hirsch grey paint that they might be willing to share? I am willing to pay a couple of bucks, along with shipping. Maybe I have some parts for a 48-49 that I could trade.

I would also plan on sharing the color formula with all.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/3/5 1:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Grey engine paint from Bill Hirsch...
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Mark,

The products from Bill Hirsch are excellent. Even when applied with a brush, they look great, stand up well to oil and gas, and last for years in punishingly hot underhood conditions. I went back and forth but after looking at the engines of the Packards at the Automobile Driving Museum and talking with Earl Rubenstein at the Earle C. Anthony region of the Packard Club, I bought the paint from Bill Hirsch. I painted my block myself, with a brush, while the engine was still in the car, and I'm very pleased with the results. So far, I've spilled coolant, sprayed and then baked engine oil on it at speed (leaky oil filter line), and doused it with gasoline while taking the fuel line off the carburetor, and it still looks factory fresh after cleaning up.

Have you spoken to the folks at Bill Hirsch over the phone? The guy I got was very happy to talk through the process with me and explained the difference between their engine enamel and other options.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.85 KB)
4580_513635d7d125c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (100.33 KB)
4580_513636446a754.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (109.77 KB)
4580_5136365fdfd49.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/3/5 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Thanks Drew, did you prime it, or is it a DTM (direct to metal)?

I really haven't looked at the engines with the Hirsch paint. So I am still open to using to it.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2013/3/5 14:13
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you are painting directly on the cast iron portions, no primer is needed. I would prime the non-cast iron pieces. (value covers, filler tube, etc). No matter what you should make sure it is throughly degreased, and prepped with a wire brush.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 15:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
I'll echo BigKev on this -- prime non-cast iron pieces, but there's no need to prime the cast-iron block and head. Cleanliness and prep are key, I used a ton of heavy duty degreaser, fourteen wire brushes, and two months of patience. The guys at the Hazardous Waste Disposal site knew me by name (you have to collect the rinse water from using degreaser).

The Bill Hirsch paint went right on the cast iron block without issue. It needs 2-3 weeks to cure, and I gave it a week between coats (2 coats cover perfectly).

Posted on: 2013/3/5 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Drew, Beautiful job on the engine. I also like the clothes pin on the fuel line. I too have used Hirsch engine paint--great stuff. Regards

Posted on: 2013/3/5 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Mark, I matched the color on my 48 block with PPG Concept single stage. After wire brushing and cleaning, I used PPG grey epoxy primer, and then sprayed it with the Concept color I mixed. I can take a sample to my local PPG jobber and get them to scan it for a formula if you wish. I highly recommend epoxy primer as a sealer, and the Concept acrylic urethane as a topcoat.

Attach file:

jpg  (128.46 KB)
4371_513678da8d498.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/3/5 17:59
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Hi Mark,

Curious as to who you are using as your engine rebuilder.
Can you PM me with the details? I am also in the Chicagoland area.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/3/5 18:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Thanks Dallas. The clothes pins are there in deference to our chief mechanic at the Automobile Driving Museum. Not that the car ever vapor-locked before...

Posted on: 2013/3/6 3:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Thanks for everyone's input! I checked out the specs on the paint for Hirsch. ...and spoke to a couple of other Packard owners. I will go with the Hirsch paint.

But, I'm still confused at which color my block should be. I have a 2271-9-xxxx (22nd series) Super 8. I thought that I read that the 22nd series were grey engines. I thought that I read it on Packardinfo, but I can't find it. When I look at the www.packardclub.org it shows:
Year: Engine: Color:
1900 - 1914 All Engines Black
1915 - 1939 Twelves Green [Note: 1]
1918 - 1947 Sixes & Eights Green [Note: 1]
1948 - 1954 All Engines Gray [Note: 2] except 1954 359 CID which were Bronze.

I know that I've seen way too many 48's & 49's with green engines for the above to be true. So which color should my 22nd super 8 be???

I apologize if this has been covered in another topic.

Thanks!

Mark

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved