Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
194 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 192

Paul E. Gallagher, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
My local BP station has non-alcoholic 92 octane gas.

I redid the carb and lines with modern materials so it can run E10 but the Clipper runs terrible on it.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:27
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Re: GREAT NEWS!!!: Legislation introduced in Congress to suspend sale of E15 gasoline | Hemmings Blog: C
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ethanol-free gasoline is federally banned in many parts of the US, including where I live. So there is no choice for me other than the E10 stuff which I surely dislike. But the only real problem I ever had with it (after lines, pump and carb were compatible) was in extremely hot conditions with it's greater propensity for vapor lock can be an issue. But that and perhaps performance at very high altitudes aside, none of the local Packard guys have ever commented on having any issues with the way the car performs. If you car really runs so terribly on it, I'd be looking for other issues as to me the difference is hardly perceptible.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
I use E10 92 octane in my '53 with the 327. I try to add Sta-Bil to each tank full. Carb, fuel pump, and fuel lines have all been rebuilt with materials compatible with modern fuels.

Hagerty Classic Car magazine discussed this in their last issue. This source looks interesting:http://www.vpracingfuels.com/

There are stations that sell ethanol free in Illinois but they are at least an hour drive away from me.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 16:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
(relative to my 56 V8):

THe non-alcohol is 'available' here in middle tn too. But usually the stations are 'sold out' of it.

The only problem i have with the e10 is hot engine starts at anything over 50 degrees ambient. However my dual exhaust is not balanced well from side to side (two different mufflers) which no doubt causes the hard start when hot problem and a slight hesitation of say 25 mph hard turns. I can live with it but don't like it.

Otherwise cold starts are nearly instantaneous and hiway performance very good well up to 80 mph. Odd tho that i have no hot idle problems even when idling for a long period of time in hot weather. Maybe the fan is keeping the carb cool enuf.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 7:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved