Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Seems V-8's were once thought to be too complicated for some .......
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Data books were used to educate/inform those working at the dealerships I'm told.

And last evening while doing some reading and enjoying an adult beverage, I "rediscovered" pages 29 through 32 in my 1953 Packard data book.

After a quick chuckle and now some thoughts, I wonder how many Packard salesman back in the day really believed what Packard was putting forth in these publications?

On this particular book's rear cover the following statement is made, " This Data Book of Packard Facts was compiled in September, 1952 ..." .

Does anyone happen to know when Packard actually begin their development of what we know now as the Packard V8?

Attach file:

jpg  (66.79 KB)
20_513f7ae27aa12.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (110.55 KB)
20_513f7af0790f2.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (125.25 KB)
20_513f7afccee0e.jpg 930X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/3/12 14:19
 Top  Print   

Re: Seems V-8's were once thought to be too complicated for some .......
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea on the exact V8 start but believe it was most likely underway when that book was written.

Probably a case of if you don't have something that everyone wants, flaunt and misdirect around what you've got until you do have. Once you have it, then overnight your PR jumps into overdrive explaining why your new and most likely problem filled version is so much better than all the proven others. I worked for a company that wrote the book on that kind of PR BS.

Notice you posted several nice and clear pages of your 53 fact book. Don't believe there is one on site so any chance of scanning the rest and sending to Kev so he could post it.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe Packard was pounding that same drum about S8s vs. V8s from the '51 Fact Book all the way until the '54 Fact Book. Obviously in '55, a new drum was procured.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 15:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I remember watching Packard dealer training film strips my father would show us for family entertainment. These were in the '46-'47-'48 time frame, and they also talked about Packard's superior and simpler valve-in- block design when compared to the more complicated valve-in-head design. This can only have been targeting Buick.

I remember going with my father to the Kansas City Zone Office in 1949 for him to pick up a new Packard in their dealer drive away program. While there we visited a nearby Oldsmobile dealership. I remember him looking at that new Olds OHV V-8 and shaking his head and saying this is what Packard needs. I was only 9-years old at the time.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/12 17:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JW,

How interesting and fortunate you are sir! To have had an actual peek into what was happening related to Packard as a bona fide eye-witness is awesome. I for one would hope that you consider writing some of your observations or even orally recording them for later anecdotal study. If so inclined, I'll buy the beverages should our paths one day cross. I'd love to hear some of your recollections.

Thanks for sharing the comment your father made.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 17:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved