Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
65 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 65

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Totally Stainless Packard SS dress-up package?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Recently replaced my valve cover bolts with stainless bolts from totally stainless.

The package included a catalog which listed stainless dress up packages (all visible nuts and bolts sent to you in stainless steel, so your car looks even classier) for a number of cars, including Sunbeam Tigers.

The make-up of several kits was provided by car clubs. If someone here wants to do this, it could benefit other owners. I think it is a nice idea and I would do it...except that I'm totally unmechanical and have no idea what the specs are.

Some of you could do this in a heartbeat. Why not take five and send them the list for your engine?

Totally Stainless Home

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:15
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Totally Stainless Packard SS dress-up package?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Be aware that Stainless Steel hardware has a tendancy to gall and seize especially stainless nuts on stainless bolts.

I use lots of 9/16 hardware on television towers and have moved to using anodized nuts on stainless bolts so I can get them off without a cutting torch.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/3/29 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Liberty, Fraternity and Egallity?

Oi! How galling.

What is galling?

Posted on: 2013/3/29 11:11
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
every bolt and nut on my motor is stainless, including the custom intake manifold washers i had totally stainless custom make.

i guess i should have worked with them on making a kit, but i seriously doubt that many of us Packard V8 owners care that much about changing them all out.

i only did it so i could remove a part and not have to repaint the bolts and nuts and it looks nicer, they wont rust, and its not as blingy as chrome.

i did use antiseize on the header bolts.

personally....i'm not in the mood to go over the whole flipping motor just so they can put a kit together.....bah humbug. i'm past it.

but you can look at my blog to see what an entire v8 looks like in stainless hardware.

here are some pics....you can see the custom washers on the intake.

the rest of the hardware is from ebay.....WAY cheaper. those valve cover bolts were pennies on the dollar compared to TS. nothing against them....but i was and still am on a budget. i got the exhaust header bolt set and custom washer from them...everything else i sourced cheaper on ebay, including studs.

the head bolts are stock....those were on and painted before i decided to do stainless....if they ahve to come off at some point...they will be replaced with stainless as well.

as far as seizing....they've been on there for about a year now...come right off just fine....maybe cause the TV tower is outside in the sun and weather??? motor being under the hood....probably fine.
Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (72.29 KB)
491_5155c48a28dc0.jpg 576X768 px

jpg  (72.49 KB)
491_5155c49940f12.jpg 576X768 px

Posted on: 2013/3/29 11:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Galling is basically when you transfer material from one part to the otherbecause they are made of the same thing. (Don't mug me metallurgists). The valid concern is that it will lead to stuff getting stuck on.

The much more popular dress up would be the acorn nuts for the straight eight head, I think.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 14:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved