Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 90

Jimmyk, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 626 generator question
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
My generator was totaly rebuilt and regulater was also checked out and they said it was fine. It did not charge ever with a diode style regulater.The only way I can get the car to charge is To start the car and hook battery wire to armature wire then everything works amp gauge shows charge I was told its the regulater so I tried the diode style still does not work.The generater shop took the original regulater off and did not put it on.I have a picture of a wireing for that generator but regulator dose not show were the field and armature wire hook up I will try to add pictures thanks for any help Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (53.42 KB)
3379_51585e3cb0590.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (51.88 KB)
3379_51585e62c38ae.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (86.26 KB)
3379_51585e8d1d3bf.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/3/31 11:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 626 generator question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The unit you show appears to be an Owen Dyneto #21262 which is correct for 1933-34-35 but not 1929 though it should function and actually provide better control than the correct one (Owen Dyneto 20530) which was a simple cutout. The connections for the armature and field are underneath the unit, the larger sized one is the armature and smaller is the field. Externally only the BAT terminal is used. The 21262 provides a two-stage charging rate and thus minimizes the need to adjust the 3rd brush for nighttime or prolonged daytime driving.

It's quite an issue getting a 21262 rebuilt as original though there are more alternatives is you return to the original simple cutout (early Ford units, e.g.); I'm in the process now of looking into getting my 21262 rebuilt with Jason at AER. He can convert it to solid state with fully automatic charge like a modern car but it requires converting the generator from 3-brush to 2-brush. Unfortunately the only true alternative both in appearance and function, the NAPA/Echlin VR-755, was sold out in almost a heartbeat a few years ago as Packard owners caught onto it's availability and bought all they could get. If you need help on this, try AER, he visits this forum rather regularly.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 11:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 626 generator question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 29:

You can use a 1954 Chevy regulator provided you make up a harness. The regulator can be hidden so nobody will see it.

You can buy that part via Standard VR-8 or NAPA.

If done carefully you can even hide the field wire under the cutout and save fixing that for a rainy day.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 14:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved