Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Mr.D, Nevada56Hudson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: This car is killing me!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
It did in the 22nd Series.I am not so sure about the 23rd series as I have see 5 23rd series Custom 8's that have the regular glove box door.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 13:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think I know the answer but just need a few minutes to check in Robert Neal's book on that detail.

UPDATE: Per Neal's book the continuation of the chrome trim across the glove box door was eliminated on the 23rd series Custom 8. If you have his book see page 68 for interior changes from 22nd to 23rd series. The 23rd series Custom 8 closed cars also no longer had the fore-to-aft headliner seams which many folks associate with these cars. Christopher was at work cutting costs.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You have to be careful. I've seen the Super Eights with the Custom Eight body and the small grille. If you look carefully the kickpanels don't have the fancy trim of the Cu8.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
23rd series Super 8 used the 127in wheelbase-same as the Custom 8.The grill is small but it does differ from the Eight.Custom Eight and Super Deluxe used the larger eggcrate grill.

Posted on: 2013/4/1 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I always thought the 23rd series Super Eight grill was the same size as the Custom grill to take advantage of the surrounding sheet metal but had the three broad bars in lieu of the egg crate. Anyone know for sure?

Posted on: 2013/4/2 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD, I think you're confusing a Super 8 with a Super DeLuxe Eight, two different car lines sharing the super 8 327 engine but not too much else. The Super DeLuxe shared the egg-crate grill and some other details (but not the chassis) with the Custom, the Super 8 did not.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 9:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
In reference to the kickpanel: do you mean the diagonal chrome strip that bisected the fresh air vent? That was a Custom feature?

Posted on: 2013/4/2 9:05
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
At least for the 22nd Series Custom 8 it was a bit more than just a chrome diagonal across the vent, the kickpanel was matching wool broadcloth above and a padded leather lower section matching the leather on the lower door panels and seat bolsters. I seem to recall this was changed a bit on the 23rd series but don't recall the details and see no mention of it in Neal's book. The photo below by this writer is from Herb Botwick's remarkably original 22nd series Custom 8. Check the condition of the Mosstread carpet - amazing preservation!

Attach file:

jpg  (97.87 KB)
177_515aec1d1e4bd.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2013/4/2 9:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
JD, I think you're confusing a Super 8 with a Super DeLuxe Eight, two different car lines sharing the super 8 327 engine but not too much else. The Super DeLuxe shared the egg-crate grill and some other details (but not the chassis) with the Custom, the Super 8 did not.

I must be confused. I was under the impression that all three lines, Custom, Super Deluxe and Super Eight all shared the 127" chassis for the 23rd series and that they all shared the longer front end sheet metal. There were three distinctly different grills for the 23rd series Packards. I was just thinking that it was unlikely that Christopher would have tooled a separate long front end for the Super Eight that would take a smaller sized grill than the sheet metal that was already there for the other 127" models.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I guess I meant to say that it was of the same basic design as the Eight.I believe it was larger and had larger bars going across-3 if I am not mistaken

Posted on: 2013/4/2 10:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved