Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

Gordon Clunn, jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Dual Oil Bath Air Cleaner conversion?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A very good solvent to use in cleaning oil bath (and oil mesh) air filters is charcoal lighter fluid, it's an isoparaffinic hydrocarbon, essentially an odorless and more refined version of kerosene. It's sold industrially as Exxon's Isopar G or H. I prefer it because it doesn't affect the paint on the housings which gasoline can, depending on the paint type. A quart is more than adequate to clean a filter and the crankcase oil filler breather and the residue is just disposed of with waste motor oil. You Based on the condition of the filter, for me cleaning once every 5 years seems about right.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 10:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Let me add one more note on caring for these filters.

VW specified that unless the oil bath filter element is visually restricted it does not require cleaning.

Thus, only dump and wipe the oil bucket on the VW filter.

By 1952 Packard specified cleaning the reservoir only.

Especially if detergent oil is being used.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Tim, that Packard advocated only cleaning the resevoir was something I didn't know. Both my Packards have the Oil Bath air cleaners & I had never seriously considered changing to paper. Now I have even less reason. to.
It makes sense. Before WW II even new Packards could expect to see some use on non paved roads and the air filters could get pretty filthy as a consequence. By the 50s, the number of miles a new Packard could excpect to travel on unimproved surfaces had probably dropped to double digits - even fewer as they aged so doing the "clean element in fresh gasoline then re-oil monthly" bit was no longer relevant.
I remember when Mount St. Helens blew in 1980 the Portland area TV Stations ran pieces advising car owners NOT to change air filters and leave them in until performance was seriously affected as a dirty filter does a better job of keeping volcanic ash out of engines.

Posted on: 2013/9/8 13:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Deacon Bill Ladroga
See User information
From Wikipedia on the types of papers used for air filters:

The raw materials are different paper pulps. The pulp may be from softwood, hardwood, fiber crops, mineral fibers. For high quality filters, dissolving pulp and mercerised pulp are used. Most filter papers are made on small paper machines. For laboratory filters the machines may be as small as 50 cm width. The paper is often cr?ped to improve porosity. The filter papers may also be treated with reagents or impregnation to get the right properties.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I think the confusion over oil bath cleaner service comes from the fact that the mesh filter element has to be cleaned in gasoline and oiled, but the oil bath element does not. After all, no matter what solvent is used, if the oil bath element is soaked in solvent, the motor will be injesting fumes, running rich, and diluting the oil bath.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 13:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved