Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 213

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vacuum antenna
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I purchased this vacuum antenna off of ebay. Does anyone know how to disassemble the thing without tearing it up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160999703627

Posted on: 2013/4/18 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Vacuum antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea if the construction of the GM version is the same but some pictures of the taken apart Packard antenna were posted herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=112447#forumpost112447

The bottom end piece has some kind of sealant around it so can be hard to remove. Once the end is removed the mast will slide out. The piston has a couple of cups for the seal. IIRC, it's a non standard size. Before getting interested in another project, I had thought about playing around with some brake wheel cylinder cups. Possibly there is a size that might work and just need a hole thru their center.

The part to be careful of is the top piece where the vacuum enters. On the Packard version, that part inside the tube appears fixed and doesn't seem to want to remove. It has the antenna connection and also the top vacuum seal. If either of those are bad I haven't figured out a solution or way to repair them yet.

One of the people at Tuscon Parts has restored the vacuum antennas but no idea what they do if those parts are bad or if they would say how they do it.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 15:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
From oictures the Packard and Gm appear to be very similar. From your comments Howard attack the bottom end!!

Posted on: 2013/4/18 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Years ago I had a 39 Cadillac 60 Special with a vacuum operated radio antenna. At that time I was talking to a person who specialized in rebuilding these antennae. He, however, did not have parts for my antenna because of the cylinder bore size. He may still be in business rebuilding these units. Check Hemmings classified ads for he and others who may provide this service. Watching and listening to one of these antennae operate is quite a treat - smooth and quiet.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/18 21:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved