Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

MHP, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

car storage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
Here is a general question about auto storage. Has anyone here had experience with these storage bubbles for autos?
i would love to hear about your experience. I have been checking them out online and i wonder if that might be a good investment......I think they are called car bubbles. i googled the topic and got 2 website. sounds like it might
be good here in hawaii as they deal with moisture etc.
i am still not close to getting my shop built & thought it might be good to park the car in a bubble(inside a carport)to help protect the vehicle. The disadvantage is i always like to start the car up and look and poke around etc. and every time i want to do that i would have to disconnect...

thanks for yur advice.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 23:34
 Top  Print   

Re: car storage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
At my former home in Longview WA., I didn't have a place to store my cars indoors. I bought a portable storage cover(like those found at COSTCO), then put the zip cover inside that, drove the car onto the floor of the zip cover and zipped it up. It did keep moisture and mildew out of the car and no mildew grew on the inside of the convertible top. It also kept dirt and dust off and out of the car. I did use the 10 or 12 desiccant pouches in/under and around the car. If you put the bubble floor on some heavy plastic or ground cover you won't hurt the flooring by driving the car into position then zipping it up. Just to be sure, I did put a 60W light bulb on the car floor and ran the extension cord out where the zipper fully closes and used some tape to further seal that small open area. None of the zip up car cover mfg's recommended using the cover out side of a garage, the cover needs to be enclosed in something. I didn't drain any liquids and I think I left the battery in the car, disconnected. Hope this helps.

Edit: Hawaii, Ok, no snow there. but getting the car in and out to start and drive isn't all that hard. I would think the only problem in Hawaii is the humidity....Your desiccant will need to be heated to restore its ability each time you open the zip cover and expose the desiccant to a new load of humidity.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 13:37
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I'm curious about on those bubbles. I believe they are kept inflated by a small blower. If so, even though there would be almost no or at least minimal air change, how well or how long does the desiccant last when being continually force fed a source of possibly moist air.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 14:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
HH56,
My bubble cover didn't have a blower. As for the desiccant, I believe but am not sure it changed to a pink color when it was saturated.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 15:00
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
now i have a 10 x 20 car tent with tarps on all sides. the car bubbble i saw on line has a fan and fills the bubble with air and is constantly circulating. the tent is on a slab of concrete 10 x 22 feet. i think the site is carbubble.com. it sounds very interesting.
thanks for the advise.

TODAY: for the first time since i owned my packard i checked the brake fluid. not in a super convenient spot. i have easamatic brrakes. it was low & it appears to have 'gunk' inside. i brought it up to the proper level.
i also checked the auto trans fluid. a bit low as well. i will fill that tomorrow with type f. the books say i am supposed to have a fill hole in the floor board, but i could not find it.
it is hard to get to the fill hole. wow!!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/25 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tim, you may be able to add fluid to the transmission from the passenger compartment. Fluid can be added through the hole for the transmission vent. The vent is located in the area in the middle of the front floor close to the front of the seat. You will need to move the seat all the way back, move the floor mat or carpet out of the way, remove the cover and vent, and using a small funnel add fluid to the transmission. You will still need to check the level from underneath the car. I saw the owner of a 1954 '300' do it this way.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Must be Car Capsulehttp://carcapsule.com/ instead of Car Bubble. Looks interesting. Not sure getting the car exposed enough to start it as you like to do will be a pleasure. Didn't realize the continuous air flow would be that beneficial. Guess logically it makes sense -- as long as no moisture condenses and sits then nothing can rust or pit -- at least that's what they claim. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved