Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Opinions on to Restore or Sell
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I know what it's like to look at a huge project like this and be overwhelmed. I have to agree with those who advise you to start small and tackle one area at a time.

From what I've read in your posts (and seen in pictures), I think the previous owner keeping the car stored indoors all this time works in your favor. I saw NO rust to speak of!

My dad's '47 Clipper sat outside for 14 years after he traded it to a local car dealer, and that ruined it.

I have to think that sitting inside will be helpful in getting the car to run again. There's something to be said for protection from the elements!

I'm looking forward to reading about the engine turning over after it soaks for awhile....

Posted on: 2013/4/30 14:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Ok so I stared today pulled the radiator and put a wrench on crank bolt and pulled the spark plus and she was free with relatively little muscle. So now I am working on getting the front fenders off to get full access to the engine but I have one bolt on each fender inside the passenger compartment I can not get off soaked in penetrating oil and let sit for hours any segestions on getting them off? Maybe cut the bolt off? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2013/6/8 15:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The factory bolts are smooth and thin headed similar to carriage bolts and almost touching the outer fender. No space for anything to grab on from that side or much to grab onto if you could get something in. The bolt is kept from turning by a square neck which fits into a small thin tab of metal so not much holding power provided by the tab.

If you can get a nut splitter over the nut or have room to turn it's business end if does slide over, that or somehow cutting or sawing the bolt off will be about the only option I can think of other than waiting and hoping the oil finally works.

Here's a photo of a nutsplitter type sold by Northern Tool. Similar should be available at many places and they are available in different jaw styles and different layouts.

Attach file:

jpg  (7.34 KB)
209_51b3a72e6704c.jpg 225X225 px

Posted on: 2013/6/8 16:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Andy:

You may have to let them soak for a week or two. The way I used to do stuff like that was put the car in a corner and dump a case of penetrating oil on everything.

If they are visibly rusted you may need heat.

If the nose has been off and they were overtightened that is a bigger problem. They only need about 15-20 ftlbs of torque.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
A torch can be your best friend in removing bolts from the frame etc. I've only have used a torch once, but it made quick work of removing the bolts. Just get them cherry red and punch them out.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 1:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Here'sgreat website which includes a step by step restoration of a 46 Packard. It gives good advice with good insight into the cost of a restoration which would be similar to your car if you wanted a very nice car vs. a presentable one.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 1:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Thanks for the advice I will let them soak for a week as I can't work on it in the next week anyway and then if the don't come off I will try heat and or a nut splitter. Also tbirdman thanks for the website it looks like it will provide info and inspiration during my project!

Posted on: 2013/6/10 12:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved