Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Ozstatman, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Oil fill tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If anyone has a judging guide handy, todays question is the proper color of the straight oil fill tube on a 47 356. Looking at several engine photos of nicely detailed cars, some have a green tube and others black. All have a black cap and the horizontal vent tube also looks to be black.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil fill tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, my oil fill tube is Packard Green engine color and the breather cap and tube ventilator are black. The guy who rebuilt the engine in the mid-1980s is a stickler for finish. He used gloss paints and stainless steel fastener throughout. He also crackle finished the starter, generator, and distributor. He told me he was trying to give it the same distinctive appearance as the per-war old style engines. Not authentic, but it is a beautiful engine, and the best one I have seen. I believe the color scheme to be correct.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is a shot of a motor with original accessories.

They really should not be super glossy and if you want to pull out all the stops you can get flattening agent that will tone down the gloss.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.96 KB)
373_517eeb3782ee2.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 16:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I do have a judging guide at home, Howard, and I used it, making the tube on my 40 green and the cap black.

Here is the replacement (taller) tube and (bigger air intake) cap from a 47.

Not definitive, however. Could have been repainted.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.10 KB)
1067_517ef7f459326.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
When I started working on my original 48, the filler tube was grey like the engine, and the cap black.

I have been using a semi-gloss black on the parts, and it looks period correct.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:51
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Howard, The oil fill tube on my '47 was green with the cap and ventilator tube a semi gloss black.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think the black tubes stem from engines where the top layer of paint is gone revealing the black primer. The restorer repaints it black thinking that is the correct color. I remember a conversation similar to this for the '51-'54 cars. My car had a black tube, but others convinced me that this was not correct. Consensus was the tubes should be engine color.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 18:02
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

LJJ
See User information
This may be a dumb question but is it difficult to remove the oil filler tube from the engine? I ask as on my 47 (356), the oil fill cap has the slot facing to the rear of the car, I believe it should face forward?

Cheers
Lyndon

Posted on: 2013/4/29 19:19
1963 Morris Cooper 997
1969 Austin 1800
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks everyone. Green it will be.

As to removing the tube, on most engines it's just pressed in - but there is always the possibility someone has applied a sealant at some time. If you gently bump it with a soft faced hammer side to side while pulling on it at the same time it should come out.

There is supposed to be a baffle on the bottom end. If your tube was installed backwards, I wonder if that little piece is still attached. From a discussion last year, the mysterious piece of metal some had found laying in the oil pan was the baffle. Being installed on the wrong side because of a backward tube, apparently they were knocked off by the crank.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 19:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

LJJ wrote:
This may be a dumb question but is it difficult to remove the oil filler tube from the engine? I ask as on my 47 (356), the oil fill cap has the slot facing to the rear of the car, I believe it should face forward?

Cheers
Lyndon

You should be able to pull it out by hand with a bit of wiggling back & forth. It is a press fit in the block.

Yes, the slot in the fill cap should face forward. There should also be a tube to direct air flow into this slot as shown in post #3 in this thread.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 19:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved