Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Briggs early 40s body stamping question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Were any non-Clipper bodies stamped by Briggs in the early 1940s? If so, which years and what became of the stamping equipment and tools that Packard had set up in house for the 1938/39/40/???/??? Juniors? Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 18:56
 Top  Print   

Re: Briggs early 40s body stamping question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Were any non-Clipper bodies stamped by Briggs in the early 1940s?

We've been over this some time ago in another thread which you might be able to find, but the answer seems to be NO. If I recall correctly this is supported by information in the minutes of the Packard Board of Directors indicating the contract with Briggs was only for the Clipper-style bodies (ED - and the LeBarons). I believe all of Packard's Board Meeting minutes survive and I do have a copy of that reference somewhere, if I find it easily I'll post it. Though I've only examined a handful of 1941 and 1942 Clippers, thus far none have had a Briggs Body Number tag. That doesn't mean they didn't have one, well all know how such tags and VN plates seem to be removed and get lost.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The board minutes can be found here.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 7:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Thanks guys, very informative and much appreciated.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 8:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to pursue the topic of Briggs body tags a bit further for those who might be interested, here's a photo of what I suspect is an early Briggs tag, this one on a 1941 LeBaron 7 pass limo. Remember that though it seems certain Packard still built the conventional bodied cars thru 1942, the exception was the LeBaron-bodied vehicles, Briggs owing the LeBaron name (which later passed to Chrysler with the sale of Briggs to them). This is the only such tag I've ever seen, I've looked at other 1941 LeBaron built cars including several Sport Broughams and one other 7-pass limo and they have no such tag. Neither do any 1941-42 Briggs-built Clippers that I've looked at. Nor have I seen any holes where such a tag might have been mounted and later removed. I'd appreciate any comments on this from anyone owning a 41-42 Clipper.

Assuming this to be a Briggs tag, there was a second change in the style. The 1947-52 tags only have two lines of information, the top line says "BODY NUMBER" and the second line has the number itself. Beginning in 1953 (or perhaps very late 1952) the tag was enlarged slightly anda third line was added at the bottom which says "BRIGGS MFG. CO. DETROIT MICH".

And just a though to add on the other thread concerning where the body panels were stamped after Packard took over Conner Ave., I've read that Briggs had another 10 or 12 plants in the Detroit area so I suppose it's possible that Briggs still stamped the panels but Packard assembled the bodies at Conner.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.69 KB)
177_5190f52f5632f.jpg 1280X535 px

jpg  (49.35 KB)
177_5190fa0e2ff36.jpg 1280X503 px

jpg  (51.09 KB)
177_519112d29ea0c.jpg 999X467 px

Posted on: 2013/5/13 9:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved