Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Minor repair of T-L control box.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Best Other's T-L system was not working properly, or sometimes not at all.
After checking all the wiring to ensure that was not the problem, I removed the control unit
from the frame and opened it up. Cursory examination did not disclose any problem.
I hooked a jumper from Ground (earth for Mal) to the body of the unit and ran a jumper
from the positive battery terminal to the Green (center) terminal.
This allowed me to manually move the control arm and observe how the contact points
were functioning. The bi-metallic arm was barely moving, and would not close the back
(down) relay at all. After careful examination I finally saw that the bottom wire winding
on the bi-metallic arm was not fastened to the post properly. The nichrome wire is attached
by some type of glue as it cannot be soldered directly. I drilled a small (1/16) hole in the
post and after skinning off the fine insulation on the wire I threaded it thru the hole,wrapped
it around the post and shoved it thru the hole again. Then I soldered the hole shut. This will hold the wire securely and allow it to make good electrical contact.
I used a small screwdriver to tighten down the gap to hold the Douglas connectors very snugly.
Testing function after fixes complete was successful. The bi-metallic arm moved and made contact after 6+ seconds and closed the proper relay. I'll install it tomorrow - I'm going to bed.
Clicking on the pictures will give you a better view.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.68 KB)
23_5191d7df9d050.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (153.34 KB)
23_5191d7eb41d4f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (135.21 KB)
23_5191d7f960017.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Minor repair of T-L control box.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Randy, I definitely need to be well grounded!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 4:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved