Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

The big question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregg Shelton
See User information
My engine has been out of my 120 for more than a year now. I made this cradle to protect the engine during my moves. (Hopefully i will not have to move again!) anyway, the oil pan has been off this extended amount of time. Do you think the main seals have dried out? Should i replace them now since the engine is out? and if so, is there anything else i should address to the engine while i have it torn down this far? The car has 33,0000 miles on it and it runs fantastic - smooth and quite. Good Compression, so i see no need to remove the head.

I look forward to your response.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.71 KB)
1536_51938bfd4a3d2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/15 8:22
Forty one is the one! Packard 120 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: The big question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dirt, grime, and grit is the major thing that you need to be concerned with. With the pan off, the lower end must have some of these things clinging to all of the surfaces that have been opened. Make sure that gets completely clean before putting the pan back on.

While the pan is off, I would use plastigauge to measure bearing clearances. I my own opinion, I would replace the seals. But you could remove the crankshaft end caps and examine how pliable the seals are.

Also, this would be a good time to replace the freeze plugs with brass ones.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 11:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved