Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 162

Tobs, JD in KC, BigKev, DaveJr, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Another Ultramatic bites the dust
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The big heat generator is the torque converter so perhaps your direct drive clutch never locked up firmly. Worn shaft/bushings and resulting low hydraulic pressure? Can we assume to rebuilder ran the pressure tests? Or even just something as simple as failure to properly adjust the throttle pressure/accelerator linkage? Any knowledgeable Ultramatic rebuilder would not miss these things, or so I'd guess.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did the oil have to pump thru the EXTRA cooler u had AND the oem cooler to circulate????? OR only the aux cooler???

What i am driving at here is that if the OEM cooler plugged up or a pinched oil line between trrans and cooler(s) then yes, the oil mite very well burn under usual but normal high heat conditions.

Cooler line prbolems or cooler itself problems will also cause problems with ANY automatic trans u install.

Posted on: 2013/5/18 21:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I installed the transmission cooler properly in series with the original trans cooler on the engine-well I can tell you the next transmission to go in this car will most likely be a chevy 700r with the adapter kit from Bendtsen's.

Attach file:

jpg  (244.31 KB)
3005_5198511d1d055.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (244.31 KB)
3005_5198514be018f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (292.19 KB)
3005_51985164bea7a.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2013/5/18 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Packard did have a flow re stricter for pressure. But removed it.

it was upper line I think,,,

bad front pump..? plugged ft pump,?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 1:47
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Okay, if the lube line was plugged due to a bad cooler then that would burn the thing up, but that is trans 101 that the cooler gets flushed. However, given new parts (excluding the overhaul kits) are not available it makes absoulutely no sense to attempt to repair that transmission.

If the only thing wrong was normal wear and tear then the unit is worth an overhaul. Otherwise it is shot, finished, kaput.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
At this point any academic discussion as to wheather or not this particular trans is rebuildable or not can not be made yet. Thus far we only know that the fluid burned. For all we know the trans still operates ok.

We do not know what the FINAL symptom was of this trans.
Did it stop pulling the car???? Only in reverse????? Only in low????? Slipping uder load only?????? We just donlt know. ALL we know is 'burned fluid" which i believe we can all understand what that is. Trans running to hot.
But just because the trans ran hot enuf to discolour and foul odor the fluid does not mean that the tran has lost any function. We just don;t know because no ther results nor symptoms have been reported if any.

Assuming no obvious excessive abuse conditions/driving habits then the burned fluid is due to some external problem of the trans such as cooler lines or the cooler itself. WHICH MEANS that ANY trans (T'Ultra, GM, F or C et al) will suffer the same fate of burned fluid in short order.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 9:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
What would be the best temperature for the fluid? And what is the point at which it "burns"?

Does the transmission burn up because the fluid does not circulate to provide lubricant and transfer the heat, or what else makes it burn up?

I hope the junk Ultramatic goes to someone who will reuse what is available to be used.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
no the tranny gave up the ghost on the pennsylvania turnpike I have a car with 5 neutrals. Has anyone out there done that bendtsen conversion if so id love to hear from you; my name is mud (er Mike) and my home phone number is 215-632-2593 if im out leave a message and I will return your call.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 10:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Ross,

would be the one to send trans to, for ,,why,,

if Ross does not want it, I'll offer 50 bucks. for spare parts.

if a cork dd clutch is used does that turn the oil brown ish?

Posted on: 2013/5/19 16:27
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
When an Ultramatic burns up that thoroughly and quickly it is almost always that the reactor clutch has seized. That causes horrific turbulence in the convertor at driving speeds and no combination of coolers will reject enough heat. Then when the fluid gets good and hot, pressures begin to drop, the direct clutch begins to slip making more heat, then the high clutches start to slip making more heat and the death spiral is complete.

Any Ultramatic that is making an unnatural amount of heat has already entered the spiral. Coolers will help a tired tranny hold pressure but will not rescue beyond a certain point.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 20:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved