Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 903 straight 8 fan measurement
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I still was hoping someone would measure their fan. The big eights for the 7th, 8th and 9th series according to the parts book all had the same fan, so it doesn't have to be. 903.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 0:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Specification on a 901

Blade Length - 7"

Blade Width - 3.5"

Blade to Radiator - 1" to 1 3/16 (closest to pump shaft, vs. farthest from pump shaft)

Blade to Edge of Radiator - 1.5"

Blade Pitch - 1.5"

Posted on: 2013/5/23 18:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Thanks 32model901!

Seems like that since I have a bigger engine, the fan should be bigger. The parts book indicates the standard 8 is a different fan than the deluxe 8 models for he 7th,8th and 9th series.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 23:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Measured another 903 fan today. Same measurements as mine. Checked the timeing. It appears to hav been about 6 degrees too far retarded.

To determine the correct timing marks, we removed the starter. Saw two marks highlighted in orange paint with degree indicators betwen them. I assumed the first line was TDC and the second was spark. We marked the damper and when the pointer was pointed to the spark line, and then out of aluminum made a pointer which we attached to a timing cover bolt.

Using a timing light and the mark on the damper, we were retarded about 6 degrees. Didn't have a chance to road test the car after we made the timing changes.

All the plugs looked in good shape.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I wish I had a better Custom Eight picture, but below is an original 902 and a restored 903. It looks like the fan is indeed bigger on the 903. To test this I would get the motor hot and put a portable fan in front of the radiator.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.56 KB)
373_51a4adfdd41ea.jpg 800X533 px

jpg  (37.32 KB)
373_51a4ae1db6e94.jpg 562X346 px

Posted on: 2013/5/28 8:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The closer the fan is to the radiator core, the less the air flow looses from the fan tips. Your distance may be correct but in later years the distance is generally in the range of 7/8 inch or so. Remembering that the air flow loses increase dramatically with small increases in air gap, you might be able to get a significant increase in cooling by making a spacer to move the fan a bit closer.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

tbirdman wrote:

...Using a timing light and the mark on the damper, we were retarded about 6 degrees. Didn't have a chance to road test the car after we made the timing changes...

I would think that advancing the timing would help with your cooling problems. Now that you have a marks on the damper to check the timing, it will be easier to experiment with different settings.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agree with JW, 6 degrees retarded is A LOT and a classic contributor to overheating.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I think I will see how the new timing works out before I start making any more changes.

Whydid packardmake timing the car this way. I know later years they transfered the timing marks up front.

The 903 I measured is a barn find and sinc ethe measuremets line up exactly with my 903, I almost positive I hae the right fan ad distance. It was also a coupe roadster so the exact model also.

Now I need to wait fo a warm day in Oregon which could be a couple of months.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 10:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, it really wasn't "years later"; ignition timing marks for 1933 and newer are on both the flywheel and the vibration damper, perhaps a change initiated after the 9th series?

Yes, I understand your fan to radiator core dimension is correct, just suggesting a modification that might help a bit. Good luck on the next warm day, keep us posted.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 11:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved