Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 151

moodydavid16, todd landis, bernhard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Moulding Clips
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
The trunk molding clips look like they are riveted on the inside of the trunk. Is this correct, or should they be factened with a nut ?

These clips have a tab that is folded over to sit tight to the underside of the trunk lid edge in order to have a minimum effect on the rubber weatherstrip that is attached to the car body..

I was looking at the 47 and that appears to have a similar appearing rounded over button flush with the sheetmetal like John shows in post 4. I'm not seeing anything that looks folded over on the exposed part so how does -- or can -- one remove those without damage?

Posted on: 2013/5/24 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
I was looking at the 47 and that appears to have a similar appearing rounded over button flush with the sheetmetal like John shows in post 4. I'm not seeing anything that looks folded over on the exposed part so how does -- or can -- one remove those without damage?

Removal is by carefully prying the bent over tab away from the edge of the trunk lid.

Here's a couple of photos of the retainer for a 22nd Series trunk moulding. The 21st Series should be similar.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.05 KB)
1137_519fd3b27d805.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (77.98 KB)
1137_519fd3c37465e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/24 15:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Thanks BDeB - But, The one I was able to remove is not like your's at all. Like Howard said, mine is a rounded over shaft, like bradded on the end flush with the trunk surface. I guess they will have to be drilled out. I assume they are original.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Here's the inside of my trunk- showing the molding clip studs ( If you can see them ), including the one that is broken.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.63 KB)
4958_51a197cdb502c.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (41.63 KB)
4958_51a197e52a115.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (49.31 KB)
4958_51a198066b98a.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/5/26 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I don't know if you found the wire clips you need, but my buddy at the local paint store found be some that work well for the moldings on my '53. I can't remember what they are for, but the are green zinc coated, kind of S showed with a long finger that bends around and holds it inside the trim, with a standard Christmas tree style prong that clips in the hole. I know that's a horrible explanation... I think I have some left in the trunk, or I can pop a molding off and and I'll post a pic. I'll call him up for a part number as well...

Posted on: 2013/5/26 3:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Try AMK Products, Inc. They have a vast catalogue. They had moulding clips for my '62 Buick Electra.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 9:08
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved