Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 8
Guests: 171

Ozstatman, Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, DavidM, Don B, packardbill, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Moulding Clips
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Attached below is the 3 styles of moulding clips used from the belt line trim on my '54 Clipper. The most used clip is the spring wire push-in clip.

I need to find a place that sells them by the box (25 or 50) as opposed to per piece which gets expensive really quick. So I am looking for a source or part number for a push in wire moulding clip that measures 1 1/8" tall (flat side to curved side). The width is 1 1/4" (flat to flat), but is not that important.

The screw on style ones are easier to locate by the box, but these wire ones are proving to be illusive.

The were used in the larger holes especially on the front fenders. Also used on the trim around the side windows.

Any leads or an Auveco number that could be used for reference is appreciated.

The larger clip is an odd ball, and was used to hold the junior wide style trim on back doors, and I may have enough original ones to be ok there.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.99 KB)
1_519e4b7cbac3b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 12:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Moulding Clips
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That wire clip may be a challenge by the box. It looks like unless some NOS is found, almost all the typical wider molding wire clips have been discontinued by Auveco.

What appears to be a good match was the Auveco 2286 in the 79 catalog although it might be just a shade too tall. By the 95-96 catalog that number was obsolete and in the current catalog, the only larger squarish clip still shown is the 2272 used on some Fords and by AMC. It's probably too small at approx 1" high x 1" wide.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 13:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard, yes, this is what I am finding that most of the wire clips are too small to work. Worse come to worse I can use the bolt in style ones every I can, and just recycle the few good spring clips I do have for the areas that are not accessible from the backside.

But I did find this one on oldbuickparts.com. The clip is too short, but I think may work if turned sideways:

Attach file:

jpg  (7.50 KB)
1_519e5eaa15d8c.jpg 382X113 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 13:26
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
For information = Attached pictures of a broken trunk molding clip and door panel clip from my 48. Where can I obtain these ?

Attach file:

jpg  (22.54 KB)
4958_519e825125256.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (23.00 KB)
4958_519e826f25f1d.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok I just bit the bullet and ordered the Wire Clips and Stud clips from the Cars, Inc (aka OldBuickParts.com). Wire clips were $.50 each or a box of 50 for $20. The Stud clips were $.75 each, and that included the retainer nuts.

I will report back later if they are acceptable replacements to the original ones.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 16:08
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
For information = Attached pictures of a broken trunk molding clip and door panel clip from my 48. Where can I obtain these ?

Restoration Specialties should have the door panel clips.

The trunk moulding clips are unique to Packard, but you might check with RJ&L Automotive fasteners to see what they could do.

RJ&L Automotive Fasteners

Posted on: 2013/5/23 17:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
The trunk molding clips look like they are riveted on the inside of the trunk. Is this correct, or should they be factened with a nut ?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
The trunk molding clips look like they are riveted on the inside of the trunk. Is this correct, or should they be factened with a nut ?

These clips have a tab that is folded over to sit tight to the underside of the trunk lid edge in order to have a minimum effect on the rubber weatherstrip that is attached to the car body..

Posted on: 2013/5/23 19:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Kev - I posted some photos a while back of some fender trim fasteners I made to install the side trim on my 51 200. They are the same as the ones in your photo. I couldn't find a suitable spring clip like the one in your photo, so I used this one, made out of some moderately heavy gauge metal, some screws and a bit of solder. They worked quite well on the 51. Here's the thread:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11019&forum=10&post_id=120600#forumpost120600

Posted on: 2013/5/23 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice engineering David. Wish I'd seen this post way back when I was struggling with trim on the 400.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 22:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved