Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

John Sauser, harris, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard oil rectifier
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
From a 1952 (fifth) printing of Floyd Clymer's Motor Scrapbook. The question is: What is an oil rectifier?

Attach file:

jpg  (203.85 KB)
23_519ed0dce2347.jpg 1028X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/5/23 21:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard oil rectifier
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone on the PAC forum asked that question a month or so ago because their Packard had one installed. All I could easily find then was an article by Willys-Knight club people.http://www.wokr.org/library/skinner_rectifier.pdf

Apparently it is some kind of early oil cleaning device. The unit they describe and show for the Willys looked very similar to the unit in the photo the poster supplied. Maybe it was best technology of the time or possibly even a fad like the later upper cylinder lube units.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Essentially, the oil rectifier was a distillation mechanism. It's purpose was to remove water and fuel contaminants from the oil using the boiling/condensing properties of lubricant versus fuel/water.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:39
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correct, Tom. And the one that Packard used was based on a design by a Mr. Skinner. It's use was not novel to Packard, quite a few high-end makes used it for a few years, you might browse this from the Willys-Knight folks:

http://www.wokr.org/library/skinner_rectifier.pdf

Posted on: 2013/5/28 13:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks for the replies. It helps in my continuing education.
I appreciate all your responses.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 16:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't doubt that a new 1925 Packard could run across country non-stop. George Jepson told me one of his cars used 1 quart in 1500 miles. Given it's a 10 quart sump - no problem.

However, even if the oil is 98% it's the other 2% that's the problem. If that 2% is dirt you decide.

It's interesting how faddish automakers could be. In 1932 everybody went cuckoo over free wheeling. And then there were fins in the 50's. The oil rectifier came and went and nobody used it again. It was basically a mini refinery. It would make for an interesting science project.

However, that ad overplays the benefit to excess.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 21:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Have many had experience with freewheeling? .... I had this in my 34 Plymouth Deluxe and it was supposed to give you terrific MPG....You essentially slowly accelerated up to 45-50 mph then lifted yout foot, allowing the vehicle to coast down to around 30 mph, which could take a few miles on the Western Plains. You would then repeat the procedure. I found that it drove me crazy as the following traffic considered me a road block and got really grumpy. I also found that the lack of engine braking in hilly country had you right up the freckle of the car in front in a very short time. I understand that it was outlawed in a number of US States fot this reason. I would not use it again, but I have a 34 Dodge/Plymouth freewheeling box if anyone really needs one. PT

Posted on: 2013/5/29 3:33
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"However, even if the oil is 98% it's the other 2% that's the problem. If that 2% is dirt you decide."

IS that to imply that ANY OTHER filtration (including modern ) system(s) will filter no less than 100% of "dirt"????

OR to put it another way:
Does that imply a 100% effectiveness of other filtration systems???

Or to put it a 3rd way:
Is there some filtration system that is significantly better than 98% effective????

Posted on: 2013/5/29 7:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
When a filter is rated 98% efficient that means that it removes 98% of the 2%

Posted on: 2013/5/29 8:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved