Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Dual Action Fuel Pump Diagram
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Blind as a bat and can't seem to find an exploded diagram of the dual action fuel pump on my 50 Eight w/288 ci engine. Mine is NOT the Carter unit (which was on the car and was apparently for a 53 car), mine is the correct unit (brand?) from Max Merritt. I need it to see if I hooked up the 2 fuel and 2 vacuum lines correctly. Can anyone help?

Posted on: 2013/5/25 20:41
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Dual Action Fuel Pump Diagram
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The suction side of the fuel pump section is connected to the line from the tank via the flexible hose, and the discharge side to the carburetor. On the vacuum side of the pump, the suction side is routed to the windshield wipers, the other side to the intake manifold. If you don't know which side of the pump is which, just crank the engine over and use your finger to determine suction from outlet.

Posted on: 2013/5/25 22:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
thanks OD, will do

Posted on: 2013/5/25 22:30
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I checked for suction and discharge and couldn't tell if the new fuel pump from MM had either. The car runs on the electric fuel pump only, the mechanical pump doesn't seem to be working. When I switch the electric fuel pump off, the carb soon runs out of fuel and the engine dies.

My car came to me with a huge Carter dual action fuel pump that was leaking fuel. It had an eccentric on the pump arm that slid a little on the arm. I was told (by MM) that the Carter pump was for a 1953 model Packard, not my 1950 model. The pump arm on the new pump has a plastic pad at the end and it's arm is a little shorter in length, but the pad lined up pretty well with the eccentric of the Carter pump when put side by side. Why do you think the new pump is not working?

Posted on: 2013/5/26 18:27
Bob

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Either arm is correct and it isn't pumping, or there is a problem with the check valves inside of the pump, there by killing the pumping action.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 18:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I was told by JD at Max Merritt that Packard didn't start using the Carter double action fuel pumps until 1953. The reason I am asking is that JD told me that if I send him my old Carter fuel pump for a refund of my core charge, he wouldn't pay me for the core. The funny thing is that the Carter pump was on my car when I bought it. Not only that but the car ran with the Carter fuel pump, but won't run with the new AC fuel pump (which isn't working).

I am getting to the point of stopping all business with Max Merritt until this issue is resolved. I just want to warn everyone to be careful when dealing with Max Merritt. I can't afford to pay DOUBLE their parts price and multiple shipping charges as well

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:03
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All my several listings for 1952 and 1953 Packard show they used an AC #9590 double action pump.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I could be wrong because of the failing memory but believe Kanter is of the one size fits all persuasion. Your Carter could have been aftermarket but may have come from them as well.

I believe there was a similar thread a few years ago on what was correct for a particular car. Gist of the responses were if you specified a particular original type pump or item they would try and supply one. If you just ordered a pump or item for a particular car they would supply one that would work as original did but may not be original type.

Do you have your electric plumbed thru the mechanical? If so, if you disconnect the line at the carb and run the electric only does gas flow. If so, I'd guess pump or valves are messed up and Max should make good. If no flow, is the outlet to carb on the bottom port with the pulse dome next to radiator?

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bob & O_D, Did Carter make replacement fuel pumps for the 23rd series? Seems like a reasonable thing for them to do even if the cars were originally equipped with AC pumps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, I don't know. Except for the V8 Packards I don't ever recall encountering a Carter double action fuel pump on a Packard. I've posted this before but here's a page from a vintage AC Catalog if it's of any help to anyone.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.56 KB)
177_51a4e9439848f.jpg 587X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/5/28 12:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved