Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

humanpotatohybrid, BillinNC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

valve guide dimensions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Anyone have I8 valve guide dimensions?

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/5/29 12:33
 Top  Print   

Re: valve guide dimensions
Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
403136 id .344 od .634 length 3 5/32 G631 exhaust
403137 id .344 od .634 length 3 G632 intake
source
Ohio Piston Pin catalog

Posted on: 2013/5/29 16:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Many thanks for the data.

I have a box each of bronze intake and exhaust guides. Since they are way big OD for the V8s, I suspected they were I8.

Has anyone here used bronze guides? Who supplies them and how much do they cost?

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/5/29 17:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Many thanks for the data.

I have a box each of bronze intake and exhaust guides. Since they are way big OD for the V8s, I suspected they were I8.

Has anyone here used bronze guides? Who supplies them and how much do they cost?

jack vines

I was looking into guides for my 327 and found that both Egge and Kanter stock them and unless they have had a price increase within the last month, they run around $7.00 each. I'm not sure if the originals were bronze construction or not but I have installed bronze guides in engine applications other than Packards. Depending on the application, many bronze guides are pre-knurled at the factory for better lubrication and cooling which extends the life of the guides vs. non-knurled.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
These guides I have are probably from something else which also fit the Packard I8.

I should post a photo, but these bronze guides have a step for a positive valve stem seal to be driven onto. Don't think they'd be used with the I8, but ya never know.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, almost certainly not Packard, though I guess with the provision for a seal we can't rule out some NORS maker's idea of an improvement.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
These guides I have are probably from something else which also fit the Packard I8.

I should post a photo, but these bronze guides have a step for a positive valve stem seal to be driven onto. Don't think they'd be used with the I8, but ya never know.

jack vines

Jack, have you confirmed that the ID and OD specs on the bronze guides are correct? I believe that the "step" you are referring to is for oil control but I've never encountered an engine that required valve seals that were inserted internally within the guide.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 12:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The step to which I referred is an external 1/2" step at the top of the guide. On an OHV8, a positive viton seal is driven onto the top of the guide and rides against the valve stem to positively seal out oil.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
The step to which I referred is an external 1/2" step at the top of the guide. On an OHV8, a positive viton seal is driven onto the top of the guide and rides against the valve stem to positively seal out oil.

jack vines

Oops! my bad Jack and I apologize. I misread your post thinking that the step was internal whereas you did state that the seal was driven "onto" and not "into".

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved