Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 240

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Belgium Rally 25th May 2013 with Jean Luc Packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

Terry34
See User information
Due to size of file - each day has been added seperately

Attach file:

doc Size: 328.00 KB; Hits: 72
doc Size: 527.50 KB; Hits: 84
doc Size: 1,400.00 KB; Hits: 89
doc Size: 3,197.50 KB; Hits: 81
doc Size: 1,924.50 KB; Hits: 75
doc Size: 2,763.00 KB; Hits: 71
doc Size: 818.50 KB; Hits: 82
doc Size: 447.50 KB; Hits: 88
doc Size: 817.00 KB; Hits: 87

Posted on: 2013/6/3 16:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Belgium Rally 25th May 2013 with Jean Luc Packard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry,

Great stories, great pic's and great adventures with Jean Luc. Thanks so much for them, but pity about Jean Luc's frailties. Please keep us posted about Jean Luc's recovery, we wish him all the best.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 16:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks Mal, will do. At the moment he's had his rad removed to take to the rad shop. Today I'm taking off the water distribution channel and I hope I'm going to find something interesting that leads to the reason for this odd problem we had on the rally.

By the way Mal does Wade have a spare 34 exhaust manifold laying around in good condition that he could sell me, as mine has developed several cracks and would require lots of welding.
Thanks again
Terry

Posted on: 2013/6/4 1:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Terry,

Don't think Wade does, but I've referred your question to him for a definitive answer.

Regarding the cause of Jean Luc's woes, some thoughts. Is the thermostat operating properly to open the radiator shutters? Is the impeller in the water pump OK? With the radiator out the water pump is now easily accessible. When you take off the water distribution cover plate, is there much corrosion build up there? If the radiator was blocked there'll also be buildup in the block and head, so these need to be cleaned and flushed as well, otherwise it'll happen again. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/6/4 2:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Mal, this has been a weird one. Firstly when we got to Dover just before our hotel I slowed down to take a turn into their car park and steam was coming out from under the bonnet. Stopped the car and let the steam die down and checked around. Ross and I saw immediately what we thought was wrong the hub of the water pump had come loose. Retightened it up and refilled with water. Problem solved we thought, but no. Next morning heading for the ferry and just as we were about to check in back came the steam. We had only done about 15 miles and their was no sign of any water in the rad. Fortunately we bought 6 containers of distilled water at a local motor factors (Halfords) Filled up and got on the boat. On arrival at Dunkirk we checked the water again and everything was fine. Got onto the motorway heading for Waterloo and after about 10 miles or so it all started again. Whilst driving there was no significant change in the temperature gauge which would cause concern. This happened for about 15 more times when on the last steam up Ross did his usual release of the rad cap (Very slowly) but did manage to scold his hand a bit and dropped the cap. At this point a volcano erupted out of the rad full of black substance and Lesley said that she thought she had seen a large rubbery substance fly out.
Anyway filled up with water again and got to the hotel with no more problems.

Checked everything the next day and everything was fine. We did most of the weeks tours with only having to top up with water on the stops. At no time did the temp. gauge show any problems as well as no sign of any water in the oil or water coming out of any visible area. The stat had stuck open at some time during all this steaming etc.
The water pump is fine with no looseness in the impeller.
Started back to Dunkirk for the return home and actually did 85 miles without any problems and then just before the docks it started all over again. No sign of water leaks but masses of steam.
Took off the water distribution plate today and not much to report there just a small amount of crud but not enough to cause a blockage.
I will report on anything when we find it.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry,

What about this?

Posted on: 2013/6/10 6:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved