Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rotating Air Cleaner.....'55 Patrician
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Does anyone have this same problem? The air cleaner on my '55 Patrician rotates from its center position while driving.... Only the top portion of the air cleaner does it....the bottom stays secure in its position. Its an original oil bath air cleaner, my carb is an original Rochester CG.... I try and avoid tightening the wing nut too tight so as not to warp the carb internals.... Is there supposed to be a "keyway" or slot that the top piece fits into the bottom to keep it from rotating?

Posted on: 2013/6/14 18:12
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Re: Rotating Air Cleaner.....'55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember hearing of that being an issue and don't think there is a keyway. Will be interesting to know if someone else has experienced it.

Without tightening the nut more, wonder if a possible solution (if there is enough of a lip on one piece or the other) would be to add an O ring around the seat area and possibly a rubber washer under the nut to provide a bit of friction.

If that would work, McMaster-Carr has O rings in various materials, thickness and configurations in large diameters around that size

Posted on: 2013/6/14 18:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The 55's are supposed to have a rubber seal between the snorkel portion and the filter pot. You could fake this nicely by finding the smallest black rubber vacuum tubing you can lay your hands on and gluing it to the filter pot around the edge where the snorkel fits.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 20:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
There is a gasket fit from top to bottom piece and bottom piece has indent above fuel filter. I have a small plastic then metal washer to tighten the wing nut against.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 21:28
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Thanks for the helpful information. Didn't realize there was supposed to be a rubber gasket..... Just a little searching....and found this online listing for one.....
which I bought....will post more when it arrives and if it cures the problem of the rotating top piece.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1955-Packard-Air-Cleaner-Seal-NEW-/150839547374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item231ebcd5ee&vxp=mtr

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:00
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved