Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

28 526 head gasket promlem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
i got my 28 started on the 19th at last only to find i had a slight leak with the head gasket that would cause water to blow out of radiator every 4 or 5 minutes. block has been sleaved back to standard and mag'ed as has the head (no cracks), block was decked and head surfaced. i am using one of the olson gasket head gaskets that they have reproduced, which is a little different then a nos gasket. the head was torqued in stages ot 63 foot pounds and then 2 more times after engine was hot and cooled. any ideas!

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:17

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 28 526 head gasket promlem
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mirek
See User information
solved the problem? it can not seal. I have a motor?

Posted on: 2013/6/29 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Dell,
I can share your pain.
A few years ago I had an even worse problem with the head gasket on a 1929 633. I had done everything you have done, decked head and block rebuilt engine etc and yet when I filled it with water in preparation for first start up, water leaked out the edge of the head gasket.
I immediately thought I had failed to tension the head down but after checking and re-tensioning it continued to leak. At this point I had not attempted to start the engine, the gasket was leaking in a number of places just under the static head of water from the radiator.
It was a new gasket manufactured locally (Australia). After much head scratching I ordered a new gasket from Olsen and removed the head to examine the leaking one. I could not see anything wrong with it and I showed it to a few others who said the same. While waiting for the new gasket to arrive I fitted the old gasket that came out before the rebuild and tightened the head down just to see if it was a problem with the head or block. It sealed so I proceeded to get the motor running. There was no evidence of a problem with the motor running on the old gasket . That old gasket has now been in about 3 years and we have driven the car a few thousand miles. The new Olsen gasket is under the seat just in case but it looks like it will not be needed. It makes me wonder why we spend the money on a new gasket every time we remove the head.
I would try your old gasket, if it does not leak then it has to be a problem with the new gasket.
I am sure we will be very interested in what you find.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 18:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Factory recommended a sealant to the gasket. I pref. the Alum Copper gasket and i spray with Alum Paint for the sealant; if u do this make sure the can states it has ALUM as part of it makeup.

Lost Torque?
-Old thread in/on the block-studs-nuts
-Paint or filler compressing under the Washer
-SS Nuts being over torqued and thread collapsing/galling.
http://www.engineersedge.com/torque_table_sae.htm
-Old Stud stretching.
I jokingly say that by the time a engine leaves my shop it been torqed 123 time.

Sadly ive had a bad surface job in the past.

Posted on: 2013/6/30 9:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved