Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

View of Packard Plant Then & Now
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Very interesting interactive view of Packard Plant then and now. Interesting, yet somber and sad in some ways. My apologies if this has already been posted here.

Packard Plant Then & Now

Posted on: 2013/6/30 23:15
 Top  Print   

Re: View of Packard Plant Then & Now
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
A Detroit Free Press photographer is making a documentary like this of Packard and presented a "then and now" to the Packard club at last weeks national meet. This was shown on a big screen at Cranbrook museum. The presentation was outstanding.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 7:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yes, the images have been shown here before, but I never tire of seeing them again.

If you like the "before and after" then you need to see the video by the same photographer, Brian Kaufman.http://www.freep.com/VideoNetwork/2003420229001/Packard-plant

This is a 6 minute trailer for the full length documentary he is working on. For the first 3 minutes you hear the voice of Philip Levine the 2012 Poet Laureate of the USA. Philip is from Detroit and wrote the poem "Last Shift" several decades ago. With Philip's permission we were able to re-print his poem in the 2006 PAC National Meet Booklet.

The second 3 minute segment contains sound bites from city leaders, Packard historians. Packard employees and neighbors near the Packard Plant.

We will let you know when the documentary is completed. Make sure you watch the video in full screen.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 9:57
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Joel, that sounds like it was a really interesting presentation. I was reading about some of the former employees sharing memories also. Must have been a great opportunity to hear first hand accounts and see the then and now presentation.

Roger, that was a great video short. I will surely watch for the release of the full length version.

Seeing the plant get so much publicity, and the then and now images almost reminds me of looking at an old wreck of a car. Just to rusty and far gone that an owner has old pictures from it's days of glory, of and holds out hope for "I'll fixer up some day" as lookers on know the imminent demise is only a matter of time. You hate to scrap it, but realize it's really just an abandon eyesore.

Time marches on I guess. Just seems a bitter end for a once grand entity.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The place is really too far gone to be of any use other than a monument to declining business fortunes.

The abandoned catenary of the Old Pennsylvania Railroad does the same thing.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
There is also the comparison of Detroit and Japan after the WWII

http://youtu.be/g3I4fCMnCF4

This is not without controversy. IF you went to the PAC meet, you know what I mean. The Detroit group is a fun and energetic one.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 9:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved