Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

hnuops, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Road-trip Essentials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I am still contemplating a 700 mi drive from Portland, OR to Santa Cruz, CA via the coast route in the Duchess, 1940 Super 8 160 Conv Sedan.

Over the course of restoration I organized my tools so the most frequently used items are clustered together. I would put these all in toolbox, hand carry type to take. Maybe there's a less common tool that's essential for a trip like this.

But I wondered about parts, too. What sets of things or spares or kits make sense for a journey like this.

Of course I'll have my iPhone with GPS apps which can be charged through the cigar lighter from the 6/12 +/- converter I installed.

I've read about Packardites driving cross-country to meets or driving a new (to them) car home through blizzards. If you've made these long-distance drives, I'd like to get some tips from you. I will blog my trip starting July 11 (if I do in fact leave).

Perhaps there are others making a long trip this summer or fall who could benefit as well.

Thanks,
Joe

Attach file:

jpg  (92.72 KB)
1067_51d25674d8618.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 23:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Road-trip Essentials
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Patrick Kelley
See User information
The one thing i wish I had before my cross country trip was a previous cross country trip. Every day was a new discovery. One thing I should have planned for was elevation change. I small flat screw driver would have been nice to lean her out a bit.

Attach file:

jpg  (144.59 KB)
4204_51d25b2fbf47b.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/7/1 23:48
1604 Super Eight 2/4 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I don't want to be knit-picking but rt 66 doesn't go through Nebraska. But wow what a good looking coupe you have there!

Back on topic; I always have a floor jack in my vehicle so I don't haveto use the rinky dinky ones amd risk my car falling of.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's probably more than "essentials" but here is the list I used for a long (1000 mile) tour in the 56 Carib, fortunately I never needed any of them. My list for the 34 Packard adds water pump packing and packing wrench and of course deletes the parts specific to the V8 models. In your tool box you might find an electrical continuity tester to be a valuable addition, and perhaps a small volt/ohm meter.

Water pump & gasket
Fuel pump & gasket
Fan belts
Ignition coil & jumper leads
Ballast resistor
Points, condensor, rotor
Bulbs and fuses
Voltage Regulator
T/L Brain
Shop manual
Jack stand
Pushbutton relay and motor
2 qts transmission oil
2 qts oil
2 qts tetraethyllead
Gallon 50/50 water & glycol
Brake fluid & syringe
Battery charger
Air pump
Generator, room permitting
Jumper cables
Rain tarp
Brake light switch
Car wash bucket, sponge, chamois, etc.
Fender cover
Wheel chock
Jack and HD lug wrench
Extra spark plug & one length high tension wire with ends.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 7:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I would add the PAC, or PI directory. This hopefully gives you a car person in the area you are going.

Ok, maybe an AACA, or whatever directory of choice.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 10:03
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Patrick Kelley
See User information
Oops. Sorry. Oklahoma. Other side of Kansas.
Something else we could have used was plug wire dryer. Yukon OK police had to help push us through an intersection during a rain storm.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 10:06
1604 Super Eight 2/4 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved